50 replies to this topic

#21 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,310 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

As mentioned before I have outside lifter struts,front and rear.With 60# of canoe on top it can be a bit hard to lift,but not a back breaker.It does go up nicely,a steady push is all it takes.First a camper with the extended cab over I think would be a little harder to lift,I think due to the lift point.I made a "lift lever"copied from a design by Les of "lqhikers".It is a simple lever devise,that doesn't take up any room when stowed hanging under the small cabinet on the right side of the camper.If needed it makes the job of lifting a easier and doesn't place a strain on your back.I haven't had to use it yet,but it's like insurance it's there when you need it.
Lots of people have different methods of lifting.so what ever works for you go for it.Just don't hurt the back,that would put a huge damper on a trip.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#22 brandon olinger

brandon olinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

"lift lever" copied from a design by Les of "lqhikers"

Can anyone point me to more info on this.

#23 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Page 1, message #9 & #10, I think.

#24 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

When I ordered my camper, Stan told me that you keep the windows closed and the door open when lifting the roof. I found that lifting the roof without the assists is a bit of a pain in the front. Once I forgot to connect them and almost strained my back, I do have back problems. I have no weight on the roof. I find that the assists are not a problem when installed. I installed two spring loaded brackets that capture the pistons of the assists, I just disconnect them at the lower mounts and swing them up into the brackets and they are out of the way.

Photo please....

#25 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

Page 1, message #9 & #10, I think.

Alley cat,that isn't the one I copied.The earlier design by Les is a simpler one. I will try to find the post I added.
And the photos I posted. If I can't find it I'll take some more.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#26 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

Alley cat,that isn't the one I copied.The earlier design by Les is a simpler one. I will try to find the post I added.
And the photos I posted. If I can't find it I'll take some more.
Frank

My post of the lifter I made is under All Terrain Campers,page #3 "roof lifter".Hope this helps.I could use this if I need an extra lift,say I am tired or had a long day,but with the struts I don't need it under normal conditions.
Frank

#27 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,391 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:51 AM

Casa Escarlata Robles Too's post is here:

roof lifter

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#28 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,310 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Casa Escarlata Robles Too's post is here:

roof lifter

Thanks Ski for posting a direct link.
Frank

#29 Walldiver

Walldiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Photo please....

Explorer,
I'll be taking the camper out this weekend, will take pics and post.

Pat

#30 Walldiver

Walldiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

Photo please....

Here are the photos of my lift assists with the spring loaded clips:

!cid_7D5D5E4BAE2B4CB18E38F7D0E2C62B0C@INTELCOREi5.png !cid_BFA28CFCE0C644508B1F87D276F896AB@INTELCOREi5.png !cid_83F0774039E646888115186336D07DB0@INTELCOREi5.png

The broom clips are entirely white and the 2 finger grip areas are metal. I shrunk black heat shrink on the areas so that if you did happen to rub up against them or bump your head on them it would be a little more forgiving, plus they match the color of the assists better. the clips extend no lower than the hinge brackets that the assists attach to.

Pat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users