Photo
- - - - -

No accommodations for pop-ups in RV parks?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 dags

dags

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

A bit off topic, but has anyone camped in a Walmart with a pop up?

#12 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

I can't imagine doing that. That would have to be one huge emergency to use the camper in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#13 pasowino

pasowino

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPaso Robles, CA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'm generally not a big fan of "privately owned" campgrounds, but the KOA at Santa Margarita Lake (20 minutes north of San Luis Obispo (hwy 101)) is actually quite nice. Lots of oak trees, swimming pool, store, etc.
http://koa.com/campg...anta-margarita/

If you make it to Paso Robles, there are several RV parks, but they're fairly expensive. If you're in a pinch, you can camp in my yard overnight. I've got a couple acres.

Have fun on your trip!

#14 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

Yep, do it all the time. it takes 12+ hours to get out of Tejas to anywhere we want to camp. So we use Walmart & truck stops on the way.

#15 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

Yep, do it all the time. it takes 12+ hours to get out of Tejas to anywhere we want to camp. So we use Walmart & truck stops on the way.

X2

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#16 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

X2

X3 works great if you need just a place to park for the night. Does not work in CA :angry:

#17 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

X3 works great if you need just a place to park for the night. Does not work in CA :angry:

Hum, why not?

Or, is "CA" = Canada, instead of California?

I've done it once in Roseville (east of Sacramento) and once in Ridgrcrest, back in the Winter of 2011.

Both times were about 1am, I was just plain too tired go any farther and didn't know the area that well for boondocking (which I do now).

Went in and talked with the overnight store manager, he pointed me away from parking lot cleaning operation, he introduced me to the overnight security manager, and then I went to sleep. I was up and rested by 6am, having a little breakfast the inside McD's and they both stopped by and asked how it was. I said great, thanked them again, and was back on the road.

Maybe their policy has changed?

#18 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Camping at Walmart is up to the store and city that store is located at. In general Walmart is ok with it.

Back to the RV park question, one time I stopped at a KOA and they asked me if I need a hook up or not. I said no and they reduced the rate. When I got to the site we had running water and power, went to the shower and when I got back everything was turned off.

The only time I had a problem with tent/RV is when I go to Bryce canyon NP. On one trip, I was in one camp ground for 2 days then the host came by and said I needed to move only RV are allowed in this camp ground. On another trip I was staying in a different camp ground and was told I can't stay here because this section is only for tents. I guess I should carry a small tent and set it up so I can stay in at tent site.

#19 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,297 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

s. I guess I should carry a small tent and set it up so I can stay in at tent site.
[/quote]

I have thought about,after all if it's a drive up tent site,not a walk in,with a spot for the auto/truck and a tent spot area why not.But you know as soon as you do that someone will come along and bitch.Oh well such is the life of the our"cult"campers. It seems like some campgrounds just don't know what to do with us.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#20 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

I've never had an issue staying in a tent or rv site, though I can't see paying for hookups I won't be using. Makes boondocking all the more fun.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users