Photo
- - - - -

Recommendation for Oregon Coast near-beach Campgrounds?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

It's been waaay too long since I've been camping...but it's still a lttle too warm for me in the Great Basin -- at basin-elevations, anyway.
So: I'm tentatively planning to spend a few days camped on the Oregon coast ; week after next, the week of Sept 10.

Can anyone recommend favorite campgrounds, central coast (say, Beverly Beach) and on south, maybe as far as the CA border?
I'm only interested in campgrounds at most a short walk from the ocean, so I think that limits my choices to Oregon State Parks. Or are there USFS or BLM campable spots next to, walking-distance-from, the ocean?
I should mention that I'll be driving my car and sleeping in a tent on this trip -- no camper, no truck-with-high-clearance.

I've camped at Cape Blanco S.P. twice in the past couple of years, so I'm familiar with that nice spot...but it's been many years since I've camped anywhere else on the OR coast.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)
- Mark

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Mark,

It has been a couple of years since I was in the area, but if I remember correctly Cape Lookout State Park at Netarts Bay is where the para-gliders and hang gliders were landing on the beach. Nice long beach at the bottom of the launch cliff, and close to the camp sites. I enjoy walking around the harbor in Garibaldi, there is a decent size fishing fleet there.

Further south, below Coos Bay is Sunset Bay State Park. I've seen kayaks in Sunset Bay on calm days. Beautiful hiking trails in the area. Bastendorff Beach County Park is attractive, but it is too far from the beach for your criteria.

Sounds like a great trip at the perfect time of year. I also suggest taking a crab trap.

Enjoy

#3 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Whatever that state beach/park in Brookings is (harris beach?) - it's a good one. Just a couple minutes north of the border, steps from the ocean.

It's basically right in town, so it's not really "camping," but super convenient, clean, and just a nice spot in general.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,307 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

Mark,Humbug Mt. SP is nice.Showers and just a short walk to the beach.We were there a couple times,last in June this year.Also the Oregon Dunes National Rec Area,around Florance and south are nice.Loads of beach room to drive on or just get lost walking.
IMO the beach camps south of Florance all have something to offer.You just have to stop and find a place you like.South of Winchester Bay area has a camp by the light house, Umpqua Lighthouse SP.Haven't been there to camp but it's right on the water I think.I believe Bandon Lighthouse area also has beach camping.So many choices so little time.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

We camp at Umpqua Lighthouse S.P. when we crab Winchester Bay. It is next to a lake. The beach is a short drive away near a popular OHV area. The park is nice and has yurts for rent.

#6 UglyScout

UglyScout

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNewberg, OR

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

Cape Lookout SP is nice and you are +/- 100' from the Ocean in the tent site area.

Florence/Winchester Bay/Umpqua Lighthouse SP/The Dunes can be nice - but the OHV riders can make it LOUD and sometimes they don't make the best site mates...

You can camp in the sand at Sand Lake if you are brave enough to drive out into the dunes. :D

You can also camp on the South Jetty at Newport/Yaquina Bay with all the surfers/wind surfers/kite surferes/whatever they are - it may or may not be legal though...
2002 Chevy 2500HD 1993 Four Wheel Grandby

#7 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

Thanks guys...I'll consider my options and probably reserve site(s) in the next day or so.
A friend of mine also told me that there's a USFS c.g. just south of Waldport -- Tillicum, I think it's called. None of the amenities of Oregon State Parks, but a nice location and cheaper.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

Do yourself a favor and stay in one of the Oregon State CG's yurts at least one night. It's not "camping" but it was an awesome experience for my wife & I.

Sand Lake, if you do drive out onto the sand do it during the week when the OHV week-end warriors haven't turned the sand at one access point into a bottomless slop. I've seen more than one pass car buried there less than 30 feet from pavement when earlier in the week they could have come and gone with abandon.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

A nice side benefit our our wonderful Oregon State Park system is that it raises the bar of expectations for the other pay parks in the vicinity, like the county parks. Apparently all State Parks keep a few sites open for day-of-arrival customers (not their exact term), so don't avoid a park just because they are sold out on line. I have always been able to find a spot for my FWC in prime season-except Honeyman Park near Florence-and a tent site after Labor Day should be very easy.
Have a great time.

#10 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:49 AM

Now that I have spent most of the summer on the Oregon coast let me add a few notes. First to clarify some info in this thread:

1. Actually there are a surprising number of Forest Service campgrounds on the coast. However, they are actually more expensive than a SP tent site thanks to the private vendor management arrangement they have going on.

2. No, you can't camp on the South Jetty at Newport.

3. You probably can't get a Yurt as they are generally reserved for the entire season. Worth checking though I suppose.

4. Yes, the State Parks can be completely full but it's unlikely this late in the season.

I'll post more specific recommendations when I get back in a few days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users