#1 SmkSignals

SmkSignals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

I bought 1996 Grandby this weekend. The PO has the camper secured with turnbuckles to the exterior of the truck and the camper jack brackets. Is this a correct method of securing? There are no access panels inside the camper for interior mounting turnbuckles. It looks like custom cabinet work at least on the drivers side of the camper. Something to be concerned about? I am going to check the outside once the camper is off the truck.

Thank you, Kurt T.

*** pix below ***

Edited by SmkSignals, 29 August 2013 - 10:04 PM.

#2 BSS

BSS

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • LocationState of Jefferson

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

Interesting. Not sure about how solid it is to use the jack brackets as tie down points, but my initial reaction is that it's pretty hokey. I think the best method for you would probably be to bolt the camper down thru the truck bed or cut some access holes and install eye bolts in the camper and truck bed.

From the photo you've got there the cabinets look to have been reasonably well made. Judging by the position of the refrigerator, this was definitely not done from the factory.

How is the front of the camper secured?

And congratulations on your new camper.

#3 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

I am looking to buy a 1996 Grandby this weekend. The PO has the camper secured with turnbuckles to the exterior of the truck and the camper jack brackets. Is this a correct method of securing? There are no access panels inside the camper for interior mounting turnbuckles. It looks like custom cabinet work at least on the drivers side of the camper. Something to be concerned about? I am going to check the outside once the camper is off the truck. I attached some pix for reference. Thank you, Kurt T.

Beside my 98 Granby I have a 9.5' Lance hardside that is over 2000#s. It secures to the brackets and does well like that. I have Happijacks running to a Torklift frame mount in the front and on the back the tiedowns connect to the rear bumper tabs. Seems better to me than the eyebolts in the wood of my FWC.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#4 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

I tie down my Granby outside to the four corners of my Rieco corner jack mounting brackets. As Barko stated above, I think it's better than the four corner eye bolts through the corners of the wood. Think about this way, the corner jack brackets are attached to the camper frame and are designed th hold the dead weight of the camper up. The same principle should apply to hold the camper down. My truck came with Happijac mounts already on it. Both Happijac and Torklift are good mounting systems.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#5 SmkSignals

SmkSignals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the help on my question regarding securing the FWC. The 1996 Grandby is now in my possession and I am in love with this camper. The previous owner gave me all the original paper work. It was originally purchased as a shell and the 1st owner did a total custom job on the interior. The whole camper is in great condition. Everything works. 12v, 110, house electrical system, propane, 2 way fridge, sink, elec water pump, 2 burner cooktop. Soft side pop top in darn near perfect condition. Headliner inside is in perfect condition.

The second owner purchased in 1999 and this is who I bought it from. They have farm property and when the truck and camper were not in use they were parked in the barn out of the elements.

I will post pix here in the near future. Looking forward to posting more on my 'new to me' camper.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

SmkSignals, congrats on your new camper. We are looking forward to seeing some photos.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 SmkSignals

SmkSignals

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

Here's a couple of pix. Sorry the camera is so poor.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Wow, looks great.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:39 AM

Congrats! Looks like a winner!

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#10 flipskid

flipskid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

i like the cabinet where the fridge usually goes and then having the fridge moved over. hmmm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users