Photo
- - - - -

Anybody make a stovetop water heater coil?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 DirtBean

DirtBean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMoose Jaw, SK

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

Yes, missing something.... Is this how you generate hot water at home? If not, then you must be subject to that same "western compulsion". :rolleyes:

Exactly. Back to original post... my WIFE WANTS HOT WATER: proposing that I should tell her to sit a water bottle on a rock in the sun and wait is potentially dangerous advise. :unsure:

Sitting water bags out in the sun is probably great for people that basecamp in warm areas. My typical trip is lots of driving in non-sweltering Canada weather and late night stops, usually 1-2 night per site.

The thermous idea is pretty good, I'll probably give that a try this weekend.

I'll probably also add another couple loops and a deflector plate to my 'on-demand water heater' contraption, you never know, it might actually work.
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 2010 Bronco B800 Pop-Up

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,396 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

... my WIFE WANTS HOT WATER: proposing that I should tell her to sit a water bottle on a rock in the sun and wait is potentially dangerous advise.
<snip>

Well said. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 joez3

joez3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Not sure if this will work for you, but I have a battery powered zodi shower. I extended the hose going to the shower head. When I get to camp I pop the hood and wrap the extra hose around the radiator hose, fill the bucket with water and put the shower head in the bucket and start the pump. After a few minutes warm water.

#14 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,573 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Did you catch my early post about the pump up style solar shower and just dumping some hot water off the stove into it? Pressurized hot water with just a few pumps... Simple compared to heating coils.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#15 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:59 PM

Did you catch my early post about the pump up style solar shower and just dumping some hot water off the stove into it? Pressurized hot water with just a few pumps... Simple compared to heating coils.

I was thinking about this very unit (without knowing it existed) last week while standing under my failing battery powered shower pump. Time for an upgrade. How would you rate the flow: A- you can dodge the drops, B- ok, but keep pumping, C- Aaahhh, D- I'm out of water over here and haven't finished rinsing.

#16 HIKEMT

HIKEMT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWestern Montana

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

I was thinking about this very unit (without knowing it existed) last week while standing under my failing battery powered shower pump. Time for an upgrade. How would you rate the flow: A- you can dodge the drops, B- ok, but keep pumping, C- Aaahhh, D- I'm out of water over here and haven't finished rinsing.

Really depends on how you use water. I was impressed with the water pressure and duration of a fully pressurized tank. We can usually take two "military-type" showers with ours although i still haven't figured out a great way to mount the shower head for a more sustained washing. Easy to pump the pressure back up if needed. No batteries to replace. Typically we boil a pot of water and add a pot of cold because we didn't get the unit in the sun early enough or weather is too cold. Easy enough to have an extra pot ready and refill. Does dual duty sitting outside the camper during the day for vegetable or hand washing, etc. Works great and no extra heater units to worry about. Not everyone will find this shower sufficient but when my wife found out this would let her shampoo her hair with hot water it gained me an extra night or two in the camper before having to check into a hotel mid-trip. Recommended.
'07 Tundra DC 4x4 TRD '11 ATC Ocelot shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users