7 replies to this topic

#1 Eric

Eric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

Hey all,

Planning a down and dirty 3 day trip up into the North Cascades this weekend. We will be going up through Winthrop on Hwy 20 from Wenatchee and because we only have Thursday night thru Sunday morning we will likely have to do an "out and back". Not enough time to make a loop into the the Bellevue area and then back to Wenatchee on Hwy 2.

Question: What are 2 or three of the "must camp a"t areas for us to see/stay at? Any particular sites/hikes to do? Any tips on trout fishing up there?

Never been there myself, so any help would be great.

Thanks again in advance!

Home Skillet :D

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

You're alive?!
Home Skillet has been reincarnated and taken over the identity of this "Eric" fellow? :blink:

Whoever you are...I can't help you with the WA Cascades, but have fun! :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

Ooops! Logged in under and old account. :unsure:

Yup, still kickin! Livin the good life in Wenatchee, WA now. Still get down to Bend for a day or two a week, but in and out just for work mostly. Then back home.

Can't wait to start exploring up here some now. Lots to see and do.

Home Skillet

Drive far away then stand in the water slinging bugs

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

OK, that makes sense, I guess...as long as it's not one of those multiple-personality things...Posted Image

Wenatchee is a nice area. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:14 AM

Home Skillet, here’s some old information with a story. Take it or leave it as you will. 20 – 25 years ago The Lady and I made several backpack trips into the Pasayten Wilderness north of Winthrop and Mazama. One trip we had to come out of the Wilderness a couple of days early and so we spent a couple of days fishing the Lost River. We camped at Ballard Campground (on the Methow River) one night and spent one night at Bob & Sharon’s (if I remember right - they invited us to meet a friend of theirs who had just summited Everest) Lost River Resort. Right after Lost River Road (north out of Mazama) crosses the Lost River there is a trailhead on the right for the Monument Creek Trail into the Pasayten. This trail goes up the Lost River Canyon for about three miles before climbing into the high country. After a mile or so, the Lost River is reachable by dropping down from the trail. We dropped down and fished a couple of sections. It was beautiful water. There were steelhead smolt plants (with the adipose clipped) that you could keep, but all wild fish were to be released. I don’t remember any really big fish, but I do remember how the wild fish fought.

The Lost River has always been in the back of my mind, a spot, someday if we’re in the area, we will return to and fish again.

Up the road just a little further is the dirt road up and over Harts Pass. I believe this is the highest pass in Washington. Harts Pass doesn’t usually open until the first week in August. We always saw mountain goats when we traveled this route. The road continues up to Slate Peak, a lookout, and trailheads into the Pasayten including the last portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. It is spectacular country.

On one of our backpack trips into the Pasayten, between Lost River and Canada, we had our first encounter with a grizzly. Wonderful country back in there and not as visited as many of the more well known spots in Washington.

Have a great trip and enjoy learning about and exploring your new back yard.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

Thanks for the input and tips ski3pin. Sounds like you and "the lady" had a really good experience.

We will be up in that area so we may try to check out some of that out. I like the idea of working on catching some smallish cutthroats or smelts. I check regulations on that, may be different now.

I'm not surprised that there is not much input from the community on this area. Pretty far from most of you all I bet. Maybe me and "my lady" (still working on a good tag for her) will have to post something when we get back. :D

Isn't Pods8 from up this way?

Thanks again,
Home Skillet

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,387 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

<snip> Maybe me and "my lady" (still working on a good tag for her) will have to post something when we get back. :D

Maybe? :blink:

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 home skillet

home skillet

• Members
  • 256 posts
  • LocationWenatchee, WA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

LOL. OK, for sure will post a report! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users