21 replies to this topic

#11 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,605 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:56 AM

Great stuff, slo! :) I spend time up there almost every year, but I haven't explored most of the possibilities for dispersed camping.

For those not familiar with the area, camping is not allowed in the designated "Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest" area, which covers much of the crest near the road...which is also some of the most view-some area. You just have to pay attention to where that boundary is. Last fall I camped near the radio towers which are near the top of the Silver Canyon Road, just outside of the restricted bristlecone area. Huge view.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:47 AM

Great trip report so far. You camped where I would have camped had I arrived in the daylight.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Once a year Barcroft Station has an open house. Worth putting on your calendar. If nothing else then you can drive all of the way to the station. When we were there they had an experiment in process studying the effects of high altitude on the fertility of sheep.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#14 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Great stuff, slo! :) I spend time up there almost every year, but I haven't explored most of the possibilities for dispersed camping.

For those not familiar with the area, camping is not allowed in the designated "Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest" area, which covers much of the crest near the road...which is also some of the most view-some area. You just have to pay attention to where that boundary is. Last fall I camped near the radio towers which are near the top of the Silver Canyon Road, just outside of the restricted bristlecone area. Huge view.

Good to know Mark. I had no idea that was the case. Luckily it was raining and I didnt pull over to set up camp on one of those "view-some" areas! B)

Great trip report so far. You camped where I would have camped had I arrived in the daylight.

Being able to explore during the day helps out bigtime! Its nerve racking enough driving down a dirt tight dirt road with the big rig during the day! HAHA I'm always worried about turning the beast around. Usually my girl and I jump on our bikes for a little exploring before heading down "that road".

Once a year Barcroft Station has an open house. Worth putting on your calendar. If nothing else then you can drive all of the way to the station. When we were there they had an experiment in process studying the effects of high altitude on the fertility of sheep.

Thats cool! We stopped and chatted with one of the guys up there. They were still studying the effects of high altitude on the fertility of sheep. Pretty interesting high altitude setup they have.

Me grubbing down on a snack. That altitude sure makes me HUNGRY!

Posted Image

Another shot of where we are going. Long way up!

Posted Image

The shack at the top. Not sure what it is up there for.

Posted Image

My girl's garmen watch showing the elevation.

Posted Image

The route down. OH BOY!

Posted Image

The muddy drive back to find a campsite...

Posted Image

Ill get more pictures of the cool campsite we got later. In one of the posts above, I put up a google earth shot of the area. It was the star designating "night 2". B)
Cheers,
Paul

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,605 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Good to know Mark. I had no idea that was the case. Luckily it was raining and I didnt pull over to set up camp on one of those "view-some" areas! B)

Cheers,
Paul

Check out the Inyo NF map to see the exact boundaries of that no-camping Bristlecone Forest area...in some areas there's a sign: "Entering/Leaving Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest", something like that. There's a flat area, kinda like a parking area, at the top of the Silver Canyon Road that's about 100 yards outside the restricted area, and I've camped there a couple of times: huge view over Bishop and the eastern Sierras -- absolutely spectacular camping spot, view-wise...though maybe not choice in any other way.

Despite that restrictive zone, dispersed camping is legal both south of it (like, kinda between Grandview and the Schulman Grove) as well as north of it, between the Patriarch Grove and the locked gate.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#16 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

You have the rig all set-up! Perfect.

I see you keep the tailgate on, so do I. How do you like that?
It does make for a nice little bench/table. Getting in and out is a little more challenging, but I'm OK with it.

Happy Trails to you!

~DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#17 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Say it's not true...

silf.jpg
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#18 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Love a heavy photo laden TR...good stuff. Thanks for all the pics.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#19 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Check out the Inyo NF map to see the exact boundaries of that no-camping Bristlecone Forest area...in some areas there's a sign: "Entering/Leaving Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest", something like that. There's a flat area, kinda like a parking area, at the top of the Silver Canyon Road that's about 100 yards outside the restricted area, and I've camped there a couple of times: huge view over Bishop and the eastern Sierras -- absolutely spectacular camping spot, view-wise...though maybe not choice in any other way.Despite that restrictive zone, dispersed camping is legal both south of it (like, kinda between Grandview and the Schulman Grove) as well as north of it, between the Patriarch Grove and the locked gate.

Thanks for the Info!!!

You have the rig all set-up! Perfect.I see you keep the tailgate on, so do I. How do you like that?It does make for a nice little bench/table. Getting in and out is a little more challenging, but I'm OK with it.Happy Trails to you!~DR

Thanks. Rig is working out great so far! I'm 50/50 on leaving the tailgate on. It is a nice bench, but a pain getting in and out. I would like to take it off when I build my new bumper with tire/jerrycan swing out, but who knows when Ill get time for that! Happy trails to you too! :D

Love a heavy photo laden TR...good stuff. Thanks for all the pics.

Thanks! I like looking at other people trips/rigs/etc so I try to post as many photos as posible! :)

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#20 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:21 AM

Alright,

How about some pictures from night 2 in the area. (night 3 total) In the map on one of my previous posts you can see where we ended up. Just up the hill from the night before.

Oh how I love this view!! :D

Posted Image

Where we ended up. The hill was WAY steeper than it looked! Just enough room to level out though!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cool view from the cocktail spot!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

How about Tacos for dinner! View and all!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, more truck picts.... Sorry, cant help!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next morning it was Egg Taco time! A little salsa theme that day.

Posted Image

Morning Coffee Spot now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

On the road again! Headed to Mammoth. Great time in the White Mountain/ Ancient Bristle Cone Forest Area!! :)

Posted Image

Just a bit more to come. Some shots of riding in Mammoth and a few of Tahoe.

My 1990 Hawk Restore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users