Radicalfil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorCal-East Bay

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

2009 Hawk with all options except the 3 way fridge:
I have located wiring shorting out at the front left lifting panel. The short occurred in the wiring at the front piano hinge, as the factory wiring was duct taped to the back side of the panels. This poor design did not allow the wires to move or flex when the roof was lifted or lower and resulted in the failure of the wire and produced a short in the wiring. I stumbled on this as I blew a fused on an unrelated electric project (additional wiring loom to accommodate a ARB fridge). This also explains why my shore power plug would arc when I plugged into a 120v source. I have tried to repair these wires by splicing a 1 foot piece to allow for the extension/contraction of the roof and the wiring. I will eventually use plastic split wiring loom to protect these from contacting each other. There is not adequate room to do a real neat/good job.

There were 2 black, 1 red, 1 yellow wire at this locus. I tested the black and yellow to energize the lights and fans. Anyone know what is the other pair (red/black) are for? Does any one have a permanent fix for this situation. Anyone else have this situation and what how did you handle it?

Phil in San Leandro

#2 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 961 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

I believe the black and red wires are for a solar panel.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#3 Kokopelli

Kokopelli

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • LocationDurango, Colorado

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Yes red and black are for solar.

Mine did the same thing. The overhead light and fan stopped working - wires were not working like you said. I just fixed the exposed, worn wires, and tried to give it more room and a better angle to flex when the push panel flexes. So far so good.
Rick 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab 4x4 NISMO. Ride-Rite air bags. 2008 Eagle

#4 Radicalfil

Radicalfil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorCal-East Bay

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

Yes red and black are for solar.

Mine did the same thing. The overhead light and fan stopped working - wires were not working like you said. I just fixed the exposed, worn wires, and tried to give it more room and a better angle to flex when the push panel flexes. So far so good.

Thanks for the responde:
I got a call into the mfg and they are suppose to get back to me. On original discussion with the tech. he said there should have been flexible type conduit and some slack in the wiring to allow for expansion and contraction. I'll wait and see what they come up with. I have a temporary fix with the cheap splice connects. I really don't want to have to continuously monkey with them.

pd

#5 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

I'm bumping this thread, since the same problem happened to the wiring in my '08 Eagle. I first noticed the short when I blew the 10 amp fuse for the lights and fan.

Here is what the wiring looked like behind the lift panel. The 12 gauge black wire was broken in two and was pulled to the side, so isn't in the picture. (12 gauge wire is solar panel, 14 gauge is lights and fan).
IMG_0625_small.jpg

What I decided to do was add splices made of more flexible silicone insulated wire (the stuff used by RC and robotics hobbyists) held in place with Posi-lock connectors on either side of the lift panel hinge. The rationale is that the splices should last longer since the wire is flexible, but if they don't they can be easily replaced because the Posi-locks are re-useable. All you have to do is unscrew the splice ends, put in the new splice and tighten them back down.
IMG_0627_small.jpg

I then duct taped the connectors on either side of the hinge, close to the hinge so they are held in place (more or less), but will be easy to get to if the need arises.
IMG_0629_small.jpg

I may leave the splices off to the side of the panel providing they don't get caught in the lift panel hinge - haven't decided their final location yet.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#6 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

I had the same problem. I soldered the connections and covered them with shrink tubing. Then I covered the wires (two in my case) with flexible black tubing that is cut lengthwise on one side to allow you to open it up and put it around the wires (tubing was found at radio shack). Then I taped it with electrical tape in several places to hold it on for good measure. Zip ties would have probably been better but I didn't want the possibly sharp ends of the ties around the sideliner. So far no problems, the wires are not connected to the lift panel and always seem to fold out of the way when the top comes down. Good Luck

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#7 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'll be taking a look at mine before I get out again. Missed this post the first time around. Thanks.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#8 4llamas

4llamas

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationSW Willamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I missed this too the first time around. We have the '09 Hawk and at least twice it has arced and tripped the fuse when plugged into shore power. Hihgz, thanks for the bump and photos. I'll look at mine today.

#9 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

I had the same problem. I soldered the connections and covered them with shrink tubing. Then I covered the wires (two in my case) with flexible black tubing that is cut lengthwise on one side to allow you to open it up and put it around the wires (tubing was found at radio shack). Then I taped it with electrical tape in several places to hold it on for good measure. Zip ties would have probably been better but I didn't want the possibly sharp ends of the ties around the sideliner. So far no problems, the wires are not connected to the lift panel and always seem to fold out of the way when the top comes down. Good Luck

I forgot to mention that the original wiring was covered with clear shrink tubing (you can see it in the photo if you look closely). It obviously didn't help much. The main problem lies in the repeated flexing of the wire and the resulting fatigue. That's why I went with more flexible wire and an easy-peasy-no-tools way of replacing the section that bends. I bet your solution will work, mainly because the wires aren't attached to the lift panel so don't have to flex as much.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,380 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Marty at ATC directed me to run wire behind the lift panel as I have crudely depicted in the drawing. Putting two bends in the wire eliminates the repeated bending in one place that leads to breaking.

Attached Thumbnails

• lift-panel-wire-run-web.jpg

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users