4 replies to this topic

#1 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi all,

Got my new (2001) 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and am going through the process of installing my 8' NCO. My old 1/2 ton Dodge only had a 6.5' bed which meant that I had to leave the tail gate on to support the aft end of the camper. However, with the tailgate on and in the down position, I couldn't lower the spare tire.
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Because the truck bed is 39" off the ground, the plastic stool we had been using with our 1/2 ton would be way too short, I bought a Brophy 4 step scissor folding stair from JC Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney...6&filterid=u0j8) for $153.99 plus a $3.99 heavy item surcharge but they paid the base shipping charges! I removed the tailgate. I then drilled holes into the bulkhead beneath the tailgate. Note: Be sure to allow for enough space for the tailgate to clear the mounting bracket below. The stair has a latch to lock it in place when folded and it rides in the back of the camper when we travel. (The bumper gets re-painted on Monday).
2. I installed tie-down chains and turnbuckles instead of bolting the camper to the side rails. However, since the corners are kind of soft, I decided to drill holes through the steel corner braces for the eye bolts. Should be plenty strong.
3. I had to re-route the sink drain as I couldn't reach it to attach the drain hose.
4. Tomorrow I will figure out the wiring as there is a camper wiring plug in the bed.
5. I need to figure out how much air to add to the airbags. Any suggestions?
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• photo.JPG
  • photo copy 3.JPG
  • photo copy 2.JPG
  • photo copy.JPG

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#2 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

I have thought about getting a set of stairs but I like my tailgate on to act as a porch. Could you mount the stairs to your tailgate?
For now I'm using this
Posted Image

#3 MikeDahlager

MikeDahlager

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I have thought about getting a set of stairs but I like my tailgate on to act as a porch. Could you mount the stairs to your tailgate?
For now I'm using this
Posted Image

You could, but the reason I got a truck with an 8' bed was to have access to the opening to lower the spare tire. Something I could not do with the tailgate in place. Plus, the bed height of 37" makes using a ladder kind of scary at my age.

2007 Okanagan model 96DB, 2001 Dodge 2500 Diesel

"Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

here's a link to the steps I built a while back.....still going strong....no runs, drips or errors

My link

80 pounds on the bags Mike....I started with 65 and worked my way up

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 Land-roamer

Land-roamer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi all,

Got my new (2001) 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and am going through the process of installing my 8' NCO. My old 1/2 ton Dodge only had a 6.5' bed which meant that I had to leave the tail gate on to support the aft end of the camper. However, with the tailgate on and in the down position, I couldn't lower the spare tire.
Here is what I have done so far:
1. Because the truck bed is 39" off the ground, the plastic stool we had been using with our 1/2 ton would be way too short, I bought a Brophy 4 step scissor folding stair from JC Whitney (http://www.jcwhitney...6&filterid=u0j8) for $153.99 plus a $3.99 heavy item surcharge but they paid the base shipping charges! I removed the tailgate. I then drilled holes into the bulkhead beneath the tailgate. Note: Be sure to allow for enough space for the tailgate to clear the mounting bracket below. The stair has a latch to lock it in place when folded and it rides in the back of the camper when we travel. (The bumper gets re-painted on Monday).
2. I installed tie-down chains and turnbuckles instead of bolting the camper to the side rails. However, since the corners are kind of soft, I decided to drill holes through the steel corner braces for the eye bolts. Should be plenty strong.
3. I had to re-route the sink drain as I couldn't reach it to attach the drain hose.
4. Tomorrow I will figure out the wiring as there is a camper wiring plug in the bed.
5. I need to figure out how much air to add to the airbags. Any suggestions?
Mike

Nice truck Mike! Mine's a 96 Cummins, and fits my 10footer with the tailgate down (by the way, I have no problem accessing the spare after relocating the mounting point for the spare winch linkage. I believe there's a thread on here somewhere about it, with pics.
Can't help you about the airbags, as I don't have any on mine (my Dodge came with the "camper package" HD suspension system, with extra leaves in the springs, so it's more than able to handle the weight of the camper and drives well. Hopefully your airbags won't cause you too much maintenance issues (something I read about when I was thinking of getting some).
I have frame-mounted tie-downs on all 4 corners, and also inserted two heavy bolts through the floor in the back (on the advice of someone here), that camper is not going anywhere.
I've been too busy this summer with projects at the house and cottage to do much with the camper, hopefully next year. Soon will be time to park it for the winter...
Good luck with the Cummins truck, stay on top of it maintenance-wise. Some great Dodge diesel forums out there if you run into some issues.
Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users