• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 d tree's

d tree's

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSO Cal

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Needs to be replaced from under forward compartment it was a deep cycle marine lead acid , ive read is a no no hydrogen etc , so Gel or AGM ? what do you guys think ? thanks ,D

#2 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

If it is in the wheel well, no need for AGM. Just get a lead acid. You won't blow up. Hydrogen dissipates faster than a fart.

~DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

#3 d tree's

d tree's

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSO Cal

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

If it is in the wheel well, no need for AGM. Just get a lead acid. You won't blow up. Hydrogen dissipates faster than a fart.

~DR

DR its in the front compartment that you step up on to get to the top bunk .

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:59 PM

WHAT I DO, NOT NECESSARILY A RECOMMENDATION FOR WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
I have my two big (Group 31) "wet-cell", aka "flooded" (i.e., potentially H2-venting) batteries in the storage space under the passenger-side couch in my FWC Hawk, next to the front turnbuckle-access port. I keep that turnbuckle access port permanently open about an inch as a vent to the truck-bed/outside. I don't know if even that small amount of venting is necessary, but I see no downside to doing it, so I do.
My camper has never exploded or burned in over 5 years running that way....
...Because, as D.R. said, H2 dissipates much faster than a fart.

BTW: AGM and Gel batteries are also lead-acid...if you want to talk about the other-than-AGM-or-Gel type, call it "flooded" or "wet".

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Our Phoenix has two T-125's in roughly the same place. They are inside a polyethylene box that has a ~1-1/2" vent hose coming out of the top and over to a vent grill on the side of the camper. some marine store parts and one of these could build something like it. Note that most typical battery boxes have large openings for the cables so they're not worth trying to vent.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 d tree's

d tree's

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSO Cal

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

Went with the' flood' type battery and im going take the advice with the vent , thanks guys ,D

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Ever had a battery get seriously corroded and had to clean it off with baking soda? Under the hood you can just get out the hose and flush it off. Not so easy if the battery is in the camper. Maybe the hydrogen isn't an issue but I'd still rather have a agm in the camper just so I don't have to worry about doing any maintenance on it.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

The (flooded/wet-cell) batteries under the couch in my camper have never shown any corrosion, even after years of use.
I don't know why that is -- the batteries in my vehicles over the years have had some corrosion on the terminals. I don't know why it's different for the batteries in my camper, but it's a fact -- no corrosion, none of that white stuff, at all.

OK, here's an idea: Could the difference be that the maximum current through the engine battery terminals is much greater than the current drawn from the camper battery?
The corrosion at the terminals is an electrochemical effect, so it makes sense that greater electrical current -- very-much greater when the engine is started, would drive more "chemistry" at the terminals.
That's what I think the difference is.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

I can snap a pic or two if it helps any.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:03 AM

Sounds plausible Mark. Sure save some money going wet cell.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users