• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

We just sold our 2011 FWC Eagle. A very nice Canadian couple bought it and will enjoy using it up in British Columbia among other places. I am sad to see it go as it is a great little camper that fit perfectly on our 1999 Tacoma. It is a well thought out and efficient unit. But, hubby's back really hurt after long periods of driving on back roads so we went with a bigger truck (2008 Ford F250). Also, now that we have the dog along, we needed more room. So we are leaving in a few days to pick up a Hallmark Ute in Colorado.

This site doesn't have a place for us Hallmark owners to call home but I will chime in from time to time on where we have been and where we plan to go. I also enjoy reading the mods you add and gear you have bought. Thanks for some great suggestions: I bought the rechargeable flashlight suggested and it is a great little addition. Thank-you for all your help.

It's been an interesting journey from the time we saw our first FWCs near Panaca, NV and Boulder, Utah 2 years ago. Tired of flying and renting inadequate cars, we had an aha moment when we discovered pop up truck campers. We first bought a hard sided camper that was too bulky so it is being renovated to sell. Then our FWC Eagle and now a Hallmark. I hope this will be our last purchase. I sure don't want to be in an RV motorhome thing. All they mostly do is watch TV and sit around drinking cocktails from what we have seen.

And, happy trails to all. Maybe we will see some of you out in the boonies. Look for a couple of old people with cameras in remote spots in a dark blue Ford. That's us.

JudyfordF250.jpg
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Congrats on your new truck & camper! Nice to know your Eagle has found a good home and that you have found a good combination for your needs. Have fun and travel safe. Oh, and take lots of pictures. :D

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

clikrf8,

Congrats on selling your Eagle. I think your evolution to the Hallmark is fairly common as people determine what works for them and what doesn't. I'm sure the Hallmark will last you a long time.
No need for a send off. We'll look for your trip reports, with photos of course. The trip planning and gear sections are always helpful. And don't give up on seeing a Hallmark section someday. you never know... B)

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:22 PM

Congrats on the sale of the Eagle and on your new rig! Since the site is called "Wander the West", not "FWC/ATC the West", I also look forward to pics of your new rig and your trip reports with your great photos!

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

Since the site is called "Wander the West", not "FWC/ATC the West", I also look forward to pics of your new rig and your trip reports with your great photos!

Yes! Exactly!

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 dorocks

dorocks

• Members
  • 306 posts
  • LocationEl Cajon CA

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Nice truck!

Keith Barnes El Cajon CA 2021 Ram 3500 Diesel with 2016 Lance 650

#7 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

So we are leaving in a few days to pick up a Hallmark Ute in Colorado.

JudyfordF250.jpg

clikrf8 - We had a Hallmark from 2002 to 2005 and really liked it. It was mounted on a 3/4 ton Chevy and we took it from our home in CA to northeastern Canada and up as far as Labrador in 2003. It served us well (my wife actually cried the day we sold it) and the folks at Hallmark were great. Congratulations! I'm sure you will be happy. - Richard

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#8 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

This site doesn't have a place for us Hallmark owners to call home.

Judy, I also have a Hallmark and love it. You will be very pleased with the quality of the camper overall and the customer service Bill, Matt and Randy provide. I have taken my 2008 Milner LX anywhere and everywhere I have wanted to go in order to access my favorite fly fishing sites, backpacking and mountain bike trail heads, and some very nasty roads in between. I haven't had one issue with my Hallmark since I bought it four years ago. It's fantastic to come back to a camper after being on the river all day or a long hike or bike ride. I love the camper life!

Regardless of this site being overwhelmingly FWC enthusiasts, I always enjoy listening to the information and stories about everyone's adventures. And, although I don't have the time nor the desire to do any mod's to my camper (I can't think of anything I would change), I certainly get a kick out of the different ideas people come up with to make their campers more enjoyable for them. It is certainly a very useful and welcoming site to be involved with.

I am now going to load my camper and get it ready to take off tomorrow for a week to ten days on the western slope of Colorado for some fly fishing in my drift boat. and mountain and road cycling. My daughter is out of school for an October break next week and I am NOT going to work. I say that with such bravado, but in reality, owning my own business I know I will receive some type of phone call that will force me into working on the road or being called back to work for some reason. :( At least with a mobile phone my leash is quite a bit longer!

Enjoy your new Hallmark, Judy and.....

Good Camping everyone!

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#9 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

You are a great bunch of folks and I enjoy your comments/suggestions/helpful hints. I am not sure where to post if I have questions to other Hallmark/Outfitter/Phoenix owners. Could we have our own section? I know there is some kind of friction but I certainly will keep my input civil.

I will post a link to my blog (which has been sadly neglected lately) about our travels and also post a few pics of our new camper. I doubt if we will make any modifications to our camper until after we travel some. I did buy 2 new things: rechargeable flashlight and a mini sink drainer, both suggested on this site's forum. My husband added beauty rings to our Eagle but that was about it.

Our new camper has just about everything we would need. Hubby wanted shower/toilet; I was happy with outside shower/Porta Potti. Not what you would expect, right? Our camper will have 2 70 watt soft solar panels/charger/inverter; 2 AGM batteries; compressor fridge (I won this one); Rhino rack/basket/ladder; axe/shovel kit (in case we get stuck); longer bed so we can sleep N/S; outside shower; radio/CD/iPod; oven/3 burner stovetop; microwave; heater; Polar curtains; under bunk/over fridge storage and a bunch of other things that are standard. I even got a nicer sink faucet (metal handles, not plastic knobs). We are also getting an attached pull down 2 step assembly that will work with our truck's height, not the scissor steps you have to remove every time.

There is more storage so we can put more things in the camper and not crowd the dog in the back seat. We still plan to travel light, though. We don't pack anything that we won't use. Mostly our list consists of clothing, a few toiletries, 2 small SS bowls for cereal/soups, 3 smaller Revere Ware pots (my grandmothers), 2 Corning Ware personal size casseroles for oven and microwave, small broiler/pizza pan that came with Brevill convection oven, boxed soups/soy milk/nuts/spices, 2 cup coffee maker, dish rack/detergent/towels, first aid kit, paper products, clothes line/detergent, camera bags (3)/tripods/Mac, bath/face towels, paper plates, zip lock bags, gun/ammo, small kitchen utensils/silverware, Tupperware-like containers with 4 snaps on lids, dog supplies: leashes/long tether rope/food/waste bags/something to chew on, Benchmark maps/NGS Park maps/4x4 route books/Laurent Martres' books on Photographing the Southwest and Oregon/National Park handouts/AAA and official state maps, and that's about it. Probably more odds and ends I can't think of now.

We are packing boxes for our trip to pick up the camper near Denver which should take about 4 days. We are watching the weather and are not sure yet of our route. I am thinking overnights in Pendleton,OR; Twin falls, ID; Rock Springs,WY and then Ft. Lupton. Motel 6 all the way. We are hoping to have no snow storm encounters.

Thanks for your help and inspiration.

Happy trails to all.
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

You are a great bunch of folks and I enjoy your comments/suggestions/helpful hints. I am not sure where to post if I have questions to other Hallmark/Outfitter/Phoenix owners. Could we have our own section? I know there is some kind of friction but I certainly will keep my input civil.

In response to the interest in a camper sub-forum for owners of campers other than FWC, ATC, Alaskan, or XP-Camper, we Moderators are in favor of adding an "Other" subforum (maybe not called "Other"...). This will happen as soon as an Administrator makes it so -- it's beyond the powers of us Site Team volunteers to create a forum.
But the Site Team has expressed our desire for a home for the homeless, so I expect it will be built very soon. Posted Image

I wasn't aware of any friction...I don't see why there would be any. Posted Image
There's no good reason for anyone to post "My camper brand is better than your camper brand" or "that brand sucks"-- we're not in high school, are we? Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users