#1 tk254254

tk254254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationOregon City, OR

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Well, I've got a bit of an issue here.... I BARELY got my 1986 Keystone covered up before the first hard rain hit here last week in Oregon. A couple of times, the tarp got blown a bit off the roof because I didn't tie things down yet.

I knew I had a leaking spot that I had neglected to get to so when the sun came out again, I lifted up the camper to let things air out. What I discovered was horrible. Apparently, the leaks were worse than I figured and essentially the entire roof and associated fiberglass insulation was soaked!

I ran the furnace all night and have a fan blowing on it. But it just doesn't appear to be drying out, and we have another 9 months of rain coming....

Should I just rip out the headliner and all the fiberglass insulation and replace this spring with foam insulation and a new headliner? Anyone else had to deal with a wet roof?

#2 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

It would save you time and money if you remove the upper trim around the roof of your camper and remove the vent and screws on top of your roof then change your insulation fix the holes in the roof skin and put it back on. However you have to do all of this with the top down to keep the side liner in place.

Have a nice day.

#3 tk254254

tk254254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ah, so you are saying just take the top completely off?

Regardless sounds like you are recommending ripping out the existing insulation and headliner?

#4 marty

marty

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

I am saying remove just the roof skin. With the skin off you can see any holes it may have in it and repair them. I think you should try to save the headliner if it is not torn up. You should not remove the roof unless the headliner is bad. Do not try to lift the roof until you have it back together.
With the skin off you can also replace the insulation or just dry it out and do extra wireing if you want to. If you remove the roof skin you will see how the headliner is installed and make a better decision on what to do with it. In my opinion the headliner is the toughest part to replace on the entire camper.

#5 tk254254

tk254254

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Well I repaired the leaks. The roof skin had actually broken out around the existing screws (screws broke through the skin). I patched those and ran a fan on the roof a few days and it is fine. The headliner is ripped, so I will just replace it and the insulation this summer.

FWC has the headliner material for pretty cheap.

Thanks for the tips!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users