31 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

Just thought I'd throw this out there as I'm thinking about it.

Far-eastern Nevada -- especially Great Basin National Park -- is one of my favorite, "special" places, but I haven't been there since the end of my May 2011 Utah trip. And I got as far east as Eureka, NV, in my January 2012 Central Nevada trip, which was a good trip but not the same place.

Many times over the years -- over at least 25 years, maybe more -- I've visited Great Basin National Park (GBNP) in the week between Christmas and New Years. Not every year or even every-second-year, but lots of times. There's only one campground open in winter in GBNP, "Lower Lehman", and it's been really cool to be the only person camped there, which has happened many times during that winter holiday week. There's usually some snow...not a lot, some times enough to X-country ski in, some times just enough to snowshoe in, some times with enough bare ground or crust that it's walkable in just boots.

Here's a photo from a mid-winter camping trip to GBNP, in the mid-'90s, I think:
Posted Image
Pre-camper, obviously, and it shows a major reason why I decided I wanted a camper. Posted Image

And here's a photo from the FWC-camper era, camped in the very same site (good old #11) as I camped in that earlier much-new-snow-with-tent visit.
Posted Image
I like this site (#11) because it's out in the open, and so, has a big view of Wheeler/Jeff Davis Peaks looming to the west as well as the view east across the near-lunar landscape of far-western Utah.
Posted Image

Anyway, it feels like time to make another trip out there...probably between Xmas and New Years...possibly the week after New Years (as I did last year, in order to join a group of friends for an Alvord Desert New Years). Now that I'm retired, having the week "off" between those two holidays isn't relevant anymore, but I'm thinking I'll do it then anyway.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Mark, we haven't sat down with maps and planned our route into the southwest that week yet. But there is a good chance we will pass through GBNP on the way out and/or back. Maybe we can hook up for a night or two. Besides, then we can build you a fire in that cold so it doesn't have a foot of snow piled up on it like your photo.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Mark, we haven't sat down with maps and planned our route into the southwest that week yet. But there is a good chance we will pass through GBNP on the way out and/or back. Maybe we can hook up for a night or two. Besides, then we can build you a fire in that cold so it doesn't have a foot of snow piled up on it like your photo.

:lol:
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I too have started looking at some of my new maps of Nevada for possible winter adventures! If you are going to build a few fires out there Ted, sort of as "place of refuge:lol:" from the winter storms, you guys keep me posted! During the winter, we in Susanville tend to get trapped-can't go east or west if the the heavy snows fall, so I go where the weather lets me, but seem to find myself up at Eagle Lake enjoying the BLM Rocky Point CG by myself because I can't go anywhere else! Like Mark, retirement gives me a lot of latitude to go where I want, when I want-depending on the weather---and I never have been to Eastern Nevada during the mid winter season, so maybe it's time to do it!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

That would be great, Ted. Posted Image

And yes, as you previously said, I lack motivation to build myself a campfire, though I enjoy those built by others.
Many times I've sat, bundled up, in my Strongback chair in front of my campsite, holding up this cardboard sign to passing campers:

Posted Image

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

.....I never have been to Eastern Nevada during the mid winter season, so maybe it's time to do it!

Smoke, I can be your winter-in-Eastern-Nevada guide/consultant. It all begins in Ely. Posted Image

#6 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

:lol:

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

That would be great, Ted. Posted Image

And yes, as you previously said, I lack motivation to build myself a campfire, though I enjoy those built by others.
Many times I've sat, bundled up, in my Strongback chair in front of my campsite, holding up this cardboard sign to passing campers:

Posted Image

Hmmmmm, I seem to remember you making me build a fire (with my wood no-less) up in the Steens last spring-fire for guide service ( I see a method for this madness)----but what happens if you run out of propane for your heater! Do you become a snow cone and a new land mark for future spring visitors and for new "unstuck" threads? :lol:

Smoke

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

...but what happens if you run out of propane for your heater! Do you become a snow cone and a new land mark for future spring visitors and for new "unstuck" threads?

I've watched enough episodes of SurvivorMan to know the potential survival-value of a fire...but I also know that hypothermia is a relatively painless and trouble-free way to go (once you get past the unpleasant shivering phase), so either way -- it's all good. Posted Image

#9 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

There is no hope for you Mark!

Smoke

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Posting this photo...

Posted Image
...reminds me that I was going to get a snow rake before this winter camping.
As this photo shows, a lot of snow can fall in one night -- even in arid Great Basin National Park...and with this much extra weight on the roof, lowering it safely/undamagingly might be a problem.
Even with the roof lifting helper shocks thingys that I now have, a lightweight, collapsible/stowable snow rake could have a place in my winter kit.
I've seen suitable ones recently at hardware stores...
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users