• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

I'll throw my hat in the ring on this. Keep me in the loop on plans, I've recently picked up a firewood carrier for winter outings. B)

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#12 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I'll throw my hat in the ring on this. Keep me in the loop on plans, I've recently picked up a firewood carrier for winter outings. B)

Better watch out CraggyMan, if Mark sees that, you may never get home again-you'll spend the rest of your days building fires in the snow!! I can see the campfire remains strung out across the wilds of Nevada now- going on and on and on; be great for future archaeologists though-to study, a new culture! Gee what could we name it?

SmokeB)
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#13 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

"Clan of the fire moochers" sounds about right... ;) but in all fairness MarkBC has held my hand as I struggle along with the digital world for many years now. So, maybe sharing a campfire is not too drastic for repayment.

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#14 Mandy

Mandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi! I am looking to add some hiking to a trip to Vegas. I am looking at the last week of April/first week of May. Thinking Great Basin and Zion. Do I need to worry about it beginning so early in the season? Will most of the trails be open? I will be coming from Michigan. While I have visited Zion before, it was later in the year.
Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

#15 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi! I am looking to add some hiking to a trip to Vegas. I am looking at the last week of April/first week of May. Thinking Great Basin and Zion. Do I need to worry about it beginning so early in the season? Will most of the trails be open? I will be coming from Michigan. While I have visited Zion before, it was later in the year.
Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Welcome to Wander The West, Mandy! Posted Image

I'm not an expert on Zion...but it's among the the lower elevations (in general) of all the great national parks in Utah, so it should be fine in late-April/early-May. In fact, it's a good time to visit most of those parks -- before the heat of summer. But it would be a good idea to check with the Park in advance.

Great Basin NP in late April, early May...well, in May 2011, I got snowed on. I don't know if that's typical as I've generally visited either mid-winter when it was all snowy or in late-summer/early-fall when it was pre-snowy.

Posted Image
The snow at the 7500-ft elevation where I was camped melted the next day.

If I was in your situation, I might consider visiting the north rim of the Grand Canyon instead of GBNP. If you're already planning on Zion then from there you're relatively in the neighborhood of the North Rim. As fond as I am of GBNP, it's not at the same level of spectacular as the Grand Canyon -- nor does it match Zion for spectacular-scenic.
But maybe you've already "done" the Grand Canyon and really want to take in the more subdued great-basiny beauty of GBNP...I like Great Basin NP for non-spectacular reasons. Posted Image

Feel free to ask me more questions, via PM, if you like (use the little envelope under my avatar).
AND: You might consider starting a new topic, such as: "Southern NV-and-UT in late-April/early-May" in the Trip Planning forum and post your questions there. People will be attracted to that and have lots of input/suggestions for you. Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#16 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

FYI, FWIW:
I think I've settled on the week after Christmas and extending to New Years (i.e., Dec 26 to Jan 1) as when I'll visit my long-beloved winter-camping destination, far-eastern Nevada. Posted Image

Great Basin National Park is my nominal destination and I'll certainly spend at least a couple of nights there, but I'll likely spend at least some time exploring in other spots in central and eastern Nevada. Maybe drive up the west side of the northern Snake Range, east side of Spring Valley north of US 50/6 -- I've never been there, so that makes it cool...possibly another visit to the Monitor and Big Smoky Valleys.

So empty and inhospitable -- especially in winter! Love that stuff! Posted Image

#17 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

FYI, FWIW:
I think I've settled on the week after Christmas and extending to New Years (i.e., Dec 26 to Jan 1) as when I'll visit my long-beloved winter-camping destination, far-eastern Nevada. Posted Image

Great Basin National Park is my nominal destination and I'll certainly spend at least a couple of nights there, but I'll likely spend at least some time exploring in other spots in central and eastern Nevada. Maybe drive up the west side of the northern Snake Range, east side of Spring Valley north of US 50/6 -- I've never been there, so that makes it cool...possibly another visit to the Monitor and Big Smoky Valleys.

So empty and inhospitable -- especially in winter! Love that stuff! Posted Image

Mark: the way the weather is acting now, it may be 120 degrees with no snow out there in two weeks. What a horrible thought, they are forecasting a chance of snow here mid week-believe it when I see it, it just rains here and floods the local creeks or is too damn cold. Anyway I'm probably not going up to Washington for X-mas, so I might meet up with you somewhere out there:lol: for a day or two depending on your route! Which way are you going via the Black Rock, Pyramid Lake, 140 or over this way then east? Nothing is for sure here, just watching the weather and wondering where the snow is! Been checking the weather out in Central Nevada and it goes back and forth between hotter than usual and a front is blowing in and instead they just get cold air-no snow! Keep me posted by email or this thread(which ever is proper), need to head out somewhere soon-even been thinking of the coast, but all it is doing there is raining.

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#18 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Sounds of gears grinding slowly in Craggy Man's cranium. :unsure:

#19 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Sounds of gears grinding slowly in Craggy Man's cranium. :unsure:

Don't break anything, dude! Maybe your clutch is busted...

#20 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

I've always loved a campfire, fire in a fireplace, fire in a woodstove, bonfire on the beach, what have you. So, I totally get the fact that some might consider it sacrilege to so much as MENTION an alternative to a campfire fueled with wood. Still, the first time I experienced an RV-ing buddy's "Amazing Campfire in a Can", I was smitten with the device. Comes in a sturdy aluminum "can" which clips over the gas logs/burner/grate/hose assembly. It's about the same diameter and half the height of a 5-gallon spackle bucket. The gas hose is a good 10-12' long so the 5-gallon propane cylinder can be set well away from the fire. Turns on in an instant, has adjustable flame, the logs get hot enough to radiate heat fairly well, and it cools down within 15-25 minutes of turning it off. Pretty dang handy appliance for those times when a quick set-up, some warmth, and a quick stow-away is needed more than the admittedly finer ambiance of a real campfire. The CIAC is particularly good for setting up beside an outdoor Coleman stove upon which the morning's coffee is brewing. They're spendy--around $240, but my buddy's has been rocked and rolled around in his Class C's storage bin and it went to Nevada, Idaho, and Montana in my Superduty, including some fairly rough roads and trails, and is still in perfectly sound condition.

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users