#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hostess Brands Is Shutting Down

I've never been a fan of Twinkies, but Hostess chocolate cupcakes (frosted! with creamy filling!) have always been one of my guilty pleasures.

Posted Image

If they can bail out those greedy investment banks -- "Too big to fail", they said, then they can bail out this fine company that wants nothing more than to bring us oral pleasure:
"Too sweet to fail!" Posted Image

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Perhaps a sad chorus of "Oh Danny Boy..................."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

I'm gonna have to stock up today...maybe buy a freezer to save a few cases of this guilty pleasure.

#4 Gormley Green

Gormley Green

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • LocationSquamish, BC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

You could probably buy as many as you like. I'm sure, like Twinkies, they never expire :lol:
2015 F350 FX4 with a 2010 FWC Hawk

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

They were saying 20 years! Just heard that the different parts of the main company will be broken up and sold- sooooo---there is still some hope:lol:!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

May be buy truck loads and store them for the future and wait till the value of them goes up,like buying a stock low and selling high.Make a ton of money.You could be a "twinkies" hoarder.
In my route sales days,my good friend on the route was the Hostess driver.We would trade goodies,I worked for Frito-Lay.Really enjoyed the raspberry filled powder donuts,yummm.
Hope they get it settled.My cynical self says the company wants to get rid of the union,than open a union free shop.IMO.
Keep the Twinkies coming.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

You guys remember, years ago, the rumor about a toilet paper shortage? I think Johnny Carson had something to do with that one. Twinkies might be gone but I suspect another industrial giant will come up with a great "nutritional" replacement. That will be my defense tactic on this one.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

...My cynical self says the company wants to get rid of the union,than open a union free shop.IMO...

Yes, I'm sure that's a lot of it -- union-busting.

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

You guys remember, years ago, the rumor about a toilet paper shortage? I think Johnny Carson had something to do with that one. Twinkies might be gone but I suspect another industrial giant will come up with a great "nutritional" replacement. That will be my defense tactic on this one.

I don't know if there is another "nutritional"replacement.Actually don't eat them myself,but I am sure the "twinkie"void will be filled.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Relief (If you can call it that) is at hand. You better apologize to your arteries!

Golden “Twinkie” Cake:

2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray molds/pan with non-stick spray.

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. Next, beat in the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute in between each addition. Reduce the mixer speed and add flour mixture alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the vanilla and mix until the batter just comes together. Over mixing with make your cake chewy. Makes 12 cakes.

Spray your Twinkie canoes

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B0009R59QY

and bake at 350 for 15 minutes, or until the cakes are just a light golden color and a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.

Cream Filling

¼ cup shortening (I prefer Crisco brand)
¼ cup margarine
1 cup sifted powdered or 10x sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Beat together the shortening and margarine until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar in a little at a time and beat on high until peaks form. Add vanilla and beat for one minute. Place in prepared icing tubes for piping into cakes.

To fill the cakes, insert the icing tip – preferably a large star tip – into three points along the flat-side of the cake, about 1/8 of an inch deep. Squeeze lightly until you see the filling begin to ooze out.

Use at your own peril the Post Master disavows any knowledge of your cardiac arrest.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users