8 replies to this topic

#1 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

I know you have to have a street legal vehicle to travel them. Either motorcycle or Jeep. So that lets out quads and my Razor.

My truck is very off road capable. I've done some Jeep trails in Moab.

Anyway, hoping to try some this Spring.
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Some of them are simply miles and miles of washboard. Others are narrow & ledgey or have narrow notches. Some of them are impassible during the winter snow. All of them are subject to current conditions, which can change not quite at a moment's notice, but fast enough to leave you stuck.

Where is it you're thinking of going? You'll get more exact info if we know which roads you're thinking of.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

They say a number of people have been flipped off the South Park Road just past the 3000 lb. Bridge at so-called Chicken Rock.

The 3000 lb. Bridge:
Posted Image

Chicken Rock:
Posted Image

And then there were the four Germans who died after they blew all four tires on their rental van just south of Butte Valley . . .

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#4 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Yeah. Chicken Rock!! That is the things I'm looking for. Unless the 3000# bridge is the weight limit!!!!

I have no idea where I'm going. Just want to explore some of the back trails.

I may be needing a search party!!!! :o
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#5 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Back in the day that bridge was rated at 8k lbs. Which is a good thing because we drove a 7600 lbs. Scout II over it.
I don't know that trying a full size around that corner would be a good idea. Unless they've widened it significantly I felt like I was using 95/100's of what was there in a std bed Xcab '84 Toyota pick-up. Then factor in that it's off-camber...

I know a guy who took his Supercab short bed PSD down Lippencott and I've read a trip report where someone encountered an H1 on it. There was only one spot that I recall having me focused on where I was putting the tires of said Yota.

I've seen Goler Wash be everything from a freeway to needing two lockers to go down it. Mengel Pass (up out of or down into Stripped Butte Valley) was easier in either the '79 or the '91 Suburban (Detroited 14bff) than it was in the Yota (Detroit/Lockrite). None of them really had any problem with it, just the longer WB of the Subs worked better there.

I would advise against any of the main valley dirt roads when wet. I learned the hard way just how saline that soil is.

Ubehebe to the Racetrack has some of the worst washboard it's been my misfortune to drive over. It isn't that the washboard itself is so horrendous, its that in many places its not safe to try to get up on top of it and skip along due to blind corners & possible on-coming traffic. Not to mention the idiotic speed limits the NPS imposes.

One April had we not had a guy along well versed in breaking snow trail in a truck built strong enough to do so we'd had to dig a lot or turn back on Hunter Mtn Rd.

I don't see what the big deal is with Steele Pass. Over the years I've had the yota over it both directions and the '91 Sub up it. Wouldn't even have slowed me down in my old one wheel drive fiberglass dune buggy. Once I have some rocker protection I'll have no trouble in trying it with our unlifted CTD.
Thom

Where does that road go?

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

Back in the day that bridge was rated at 8k lbs. Which is a good thing because we drove a 7600 lbs. Scout II over it.
I don't know that trying a full size around that corner would be a good idea. Unless they've widened it significantly I felt like I was using 95/100's of what was there in a std bed Xcab '84 Toyota pick-up. Then factor in that it's off-camber...

The off-camber corner in '05:
Posted Image

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 962 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

I understand the 3K bridge is now closed to everything but bikes and ATVs which eliminates a nice loop trail from Pleasant Canyon to South Park. I would not take a truck over chicken rock though. That one put a pucker mark in my Jeep seat.

Before starting a trip I would check the DV web sites to get current conditions. DV doesn't get much rain but when it does it can make a mess.
2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#8 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Sure appreciate the replies. I'm thinking I just may hang my dual sport on the rear!!!!

#9 generubin

generubin

Electric Baja

• Members
  • 626 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

I've done every last road except Pleasant Canyon to South Park road in either my F250 or my Dodge 2500. It wasn't little trucks but full size equipment that made those roads to begin with. Lippincott and Steel Pass, no problem. I'd recommend you visit Saline Valley Hot Springs and stay a few days so you "get it".

Butte Valley is a nice place. There is a "T" intersection just southeast a mile or so from Saratoga Springs that is a magical place to camp. Johnson Canyon, Cottonwood Canyon, Echo Canyon all very nice.

Really, if you've never been to DV it is all wonderful. I grew up on DV, my parents taking me there several times a year since I was 4 years old.

From Baja to the Arctic and all places between!

www.generubinaudio.com

Dodge 4x4 2500 Cummins, 6 spd manual, ATC Ocelot Shell. Tesla Model S, 85KWH, 2018 Tesla Model 3 (3 of them!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users