• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

From CalTrans tonight:

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM THE INYO/MONO CO LINE TO
THE NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS
OR PERMIT LOADS

Anyone ever feel they should have heeded that warning?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#2 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

From CalTrans tonight:

A HIGH WIND ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FROM THE INYO/MONO CO LINE TO
THE NEVADA STATE LINE - TRAVEL IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CAMPERS, TRAILERS
OR PERMIT LOADS

Anyone ever feel they should have heeded that warning?

:lol:Let it snow let it snow, let it snow, and stay home by the fire place and have some beans and ham-hocks or french onion soup, or enjoy where ever you are but its snowing like old times up here in the northern sierras and eastern side! Good weather for a nice FWC trip and camp! Power still on here! Ho Ho!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 22 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

Not because of the camper. Being stuck in the camper, yes.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,347 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

We have come back home through that area with those warnings in effect. I haven't felt like I've overstepped any boundaries. Warnings certainly heightens awareness and caution and watch closely how others are handling conditions. Our rig does well in the wind, much better than the old Isuzu Trooper we had. Passing an oncoming big rig in a strong cross wind was a white knuckle experience.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:12 AM

With my old Caveman camper or my Tioga motor home yea. With my Grandby not so much.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#6 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

:lol:
Guys
Try driving a VW on 395 through Washo Valley between Reno and Carson City for fun sometime! My Granby rides well in the wind, on I-5, but those semi's driving 75 mph on I-80 coming into Elko, sure scares me on those hills. Power has been off here in Susanville a couple of times, lot's and lot's of snow, big, big wet flakes - like for one of those good old winters of the past! If the power does go out I still have that pot of red beans and ham-hocks going-three days now, real good and tasty. The local FM station stays on during power outs so I'll still be able to listen to the 49er-Seahawk game! Ho, Ho Ho - Let it snow let it snow let it snow!

Smoke
Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#7 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'm heading up to a cabin on Donner Summit as soon as I can get out the door. This is a great site to help understand the conditions.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Other states may have something similar.

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:09 AM

I'm heading up to a cabin on Donner Summit as soon as I can get out the door. This is a great site to help understand the conditions.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

Other states may have something similar.

Hope you made it, Espresso. :blink: We stayed home when the prospect of almost three hundred miles of chain controls were between us and Bishop. After deciding to stay home, we then lost power at the house for six hours, but made up for it by going into town to see The Hobbit (long, but quite entertaining). It's been quite a storm with two inches of rain and 44mph gusts.

We will try again for a morning departure, traveling 95 south from Fallon to Beatty if there's still a lot of snow on 395. Anyone heard if South Pass is open to Saline? :rolleyes:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

We made it after 7.5 hours, 5 hours of it between Colfax and the Sugar Bowl exit. We would watch people fly by only to see them a mile or two down the road piled into a snow bank. On the downhill stretch from Nyack to Emigrant Gap, one guy in a minivan passed us with all four wheels locked up! He was lucky and managed to keep it on the road and not hit anything even after a slow motion 360 spin. And I'm amazed by how many people with a front wheel drive car put their chains on the rear wheels and can't figure out why they can't get going again after having stopped on an incline.

It's a beautiful morning. The sun is up and the snow covered trees look amazing against a deep blue sky. Do I want to snowboard in fresh power or snowshoe in fresh powder? I think I'll sit by the wood stove for a while longer and think about it.

#10 Desert Rancher

Desert Rancher

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSocal desert

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

:The local FM station stays on during power outs so I'll still be able to listen to the 49er-Seahawk game! Ho, Ho Ho
Smoke

With Directv, a 400w inverter and a car battery...you can watch TV anytime/anywhere without power. I can go 2-3 days without recharging.

~DR
Granbaby ridin' on an F250HD 4x4, International Diesel powered T444E "And camping will grant each man new hope...as sleep brings dreams of home"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users