• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

The front and rear of the NCO's have a pair of guides which align the top and bottom section for raising and lowering. In the CO's they are on the rear only, right behind the hydraulic tubes.

I've got a leak, through the bolt which holds the front, outside guide. The outside acorn nut is locked and I'm having a heck of a time removing it to seal the bolt and replace the acorn nut....

Does anyone know what type of bolt head is on the opposite side of the acorn nuts...standard slot or philips, flat or pan...I have a feeling I'm going to be making a tool to access the head without removing the top and the access is a 1/8" slot...ugh.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

The front and rear of the NCO's have a pair of guides which align the top and bottom section for raising and lowering. In the CO's they are on the rear only, right behind the hydraulic tubes.

I've got a leak, through the bolt which holds the front, outside guide. The outside acorn nut is locked and I'm having a heck of a time removing it to seal the bolt and replace the acorn nut....

Does anyone know what type of bolt head is on the opposite side of the acorn nuts...standard slot or philips, flat or pan...I have a feeling I'm going to be making a tool to access the head without removing the top and the access is a 1/8" slot...ugh.

Are you able to grip the bolt on the inside?
David Bybee 2004.5 Dodge 3500 4x4 diesel 2004 Tundra DC 1998 Alaskan 10' Cabover

#3 Mike S.

Mike S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationHope, B.C.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

I found a wrench from a ignition set worked because it is small, thin and offset. On a CO model its fairly simple I undid the top one when it was up and the bottom when down, then pride the side out with a wedge the piece then slid out of the bottom. I replaced all with stainless and large fender washers. Don't know how to do it with a NCO but there must be a way. Have fun!

99 Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel, 94 CO Alaskan 10', 10 ply BFGs Air bags,  VE7YHE

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thanks for the responses guys

the head has minimum clearance and is probably a flathead due to the location inside the guide...I'm pretty sure I could fashion somewhat of an offset ignition driver as was suggested but I don't know if it's slotted or philips...

the aim is for stainless replacements and I think I'm just going do all of them in the spring...

pop top...coming up...you've gotta luv em ;)

I temporarily waterproofed the bolt head by using a single serving cream cheese container...cleaned up....hole drilled in the edge for drainage and installed flat around the bolt head with a little polyurethane adhesive....the white color even matches...LOL

farming ingenuity :D

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users