• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

For history and discussion input, please refer to the original Post dated Jan 25th "Bolting FWC to Bed of 2005-2013 Toyota Tacoma".

The attached pictures were taken by me lying on the ground shooting up towards the chassis. My fabricator did such an excellent job that it is difficult to distinguish his work from the factory as everything he did is painted black too. I placed a "black-on-white tape" labeled "Bracket" to help the viewer distinguish the parts. The bracket material is 3/8" thick by 2" wide. The brackets are located below the bed. Fabricator drilled 3/8" diameter hole in bracket and went two sizes larger in the bed and bed pad (1/2") to allow for frame flex. The bolts used were 3/8" diameter 'Elevator' bolts (Flat on top) 3-7/8" long. You will need to contact Terry Budd at Four Wheel Camper to buy them as the largest length you will find commercially is 2" long.

There is no picture showing the bolt from camper to bracket on "Drivers side Front" because it is above the gas tank - way above by at least a foot - I can feel it and can just see it though not well enough to get a picture of it.

The camper was previously installed on my 1999 Tacoma X-cab. The Fabricator used the same camper bolt holes location on the new truck. The front brackets were welded to the outside of the frame. The Rear brackets were bolted to the frame in existing holes. 

Feb 19, 2013 Driving impression Update:
Last week we drove to the Grand Canyon. 964 miles round trip.  NO squeeks or rattles and what a pleasant ride compared to the old '99 Tacoma.

Attached Thumbnails

• Driver Side 1.JPG
  • Front Pass Side 1.JPG
  • Front Pass Side 2.JPG
  • Front Pass Side 3.JPG
  • rear Drivers Side 1.JPG
  • Rear Drivers Side 3.JPG
  • Rear Pass Side 1.JPG
  • Rear Pass Side 2.JPG

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 03 August 2013 - 07:44 PM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

March 22, 2013 "Death Valley Hot Springs Trip" Driving Impression Report:
The 'road' is about 80 miles round trip of 'bad' washboard and washed out sections. I decided to test the suspension by NOT airing down. Results were the best ride I have ever had. Upon my return I checked all the brackets welds and bolts - everything performed flawlessly.

Total Milege 784. Overall trip Milege average was 15.8. First leg loaded (5800 pounds or so) San Diego - Olancha 15.7mpg. Second leg Olancha to Big Pine 18.3 mpg. Third leg Big Pine to Hot Springs then return through Big Pine to Olancha (173 miles - 80 in 4WD) 13.9. Return leg Olancha to San Diego - 15.8mpg. I was 200 pounds lighter, however I was bucking a strong head/side wind.

I've enclosed a few pictures showing my campsite at "Saline Valley" (Death Valley Nat Park). A gray day - normally we have blue sky and lots of sunlight. This trip we also had lots of wind at night - 5 of the 6 nights . Calm sunny days made up for it. First picture a view to the west towards the Inyo mountain range. The second picture is the north end of the Wacoba-Saline "road". To the left of the truck is a shot of the Sierra mountains with lots of snow on top

Attached Thumbnails

• Saline Valley Camp site-2013.jpg
  • Sierra Nevadas from Wacoba-Saline Road-50%.jpg

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 09 June 2013 - 08:20 PM.

Jim

#3 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:48 AM

How did it do at night in the wind?

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#4 Rick NV

Rick NV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:04 AM

Nice work Pilot Jim- really a good looking set-up- thanks for posting.

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

AF^GL,

Wind didn't bother sleeping at all. Just a gentle rocking. One night I shut the top vent and 3 of the four windows because it was really blowing, maybe 20-30 miles per hour.

Jim

#6 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Milege update

After our latest trip to Lake Havasu we have 5300 miles on the installation with NO squeeks or rattles. I have noticed a few suspension "groans" driving over a "ditch" from one paved road surface to another if you go over it one wheel at a time though their are NO "groans" driving into and out of gas station drive-ways. 

Jim

#7 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

Milege update

Tacoma  just turned 7,000 miles. Everything is running well - no squeeks, rattles or groans, It handles on a curvy road "almost" like a sports car cornering flat through the turns. Milege has settled down to 14.6 mpg 50/50 highway and local. 18.6 is still my best running at about 70 mph with a full load of gear for a week at the hot springs.

My next trip to hot springs will be October 27th. Will report after that trip.

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users