• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 William

William

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

I run a 2007 Eagle on a 97 Ford Ranger 4x4. I love my rig, but I'm always cautious about weight. Since batteries are heavy, wondering what others do for batteries. For a number of years I have used two 12volt, reconditioned. smaller, (probably backup powersupply batteries) AGM's. They have worked pretty well. I have replaced factory lights with led tubes, and don't use the heater that much, and get by pretty good. Just wondering what others use?

#2 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:14 AM

75 Amp hour Interstate AGM wheelchair battery factory supplied by ATC. No fancy charger,inverter,or meters .Surepower 1314 separator, 65 watt solar panel, simple charge controller. Engel fridge. Still going strong after 7 years. I don't draw it down below 12 volts very often. Weight, never checked. Replacement cost, $200 or so,$28 per year so far.
Dsrtrat

I run a 2007 Eagle on a 97 Ford Ranger 4x4. I love my rig, but I'm always cautious about weight. Since batteries are heavy, wondering what others do for batteries. For a number of years I have used two 12volt, reconditioned. smaller, (probably backup powersupply batteries) AGM's. They have worked pretty well. I have replaced factory lights with led tubes, and don't use the heater that much, and get by pretty good. Just wondering what others use?

#3 William

William

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

75 Amp hour Interstate AGM wheelchair battery factory supplied by ATC. No fancy charger,inverter,or meters .Surepower 1314 separator, 65 watt solar panel, simple charge controller. Engel fridge. Still going strong after 7 years. I don't draw it down below 12 volts very often. Weight, never checked. Replacement cost, $200 or so,$28 per year so far.
Dsrtrat

Thanks for the reply. that's a pretty hefty battery. How long will you Engle run on that? Been thinking about an Engle, but my Dometic three-way works pretty good.

#4 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 796 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

IT DOES NOT PAY TO GO CHEAP ON YOUR BATTERIES

#5 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

I checked the weight on the battery, the Interstate DCM0075 is 54#. The solar keeps up with the Engel fridge set on 35 degrees. I don't charge electronics or use a computer while camping and seldom even use the camper lights. The heater is the only large draw and I usually move every couple of days in cold weather and the battery gets charged by the truck.I relocated the battery and separator to the engine compartment to get them out of the camper.For my limited needs everything works fine.
Dsrtrat

Thanks for the reply. that's a pretty hefty battery. How long will you Engle run on that? Been thinking about an Engle, but my Dometic three-way works pretty good.

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Our Phoenix came to us with a pair of Trojan T-125's. I think they're something like 56 lbs each. Currently use only a BEP Marine VSR to charge off the engine, but shortly I'll have one of the 100 watt solar panels from Costco.
Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users