• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:14 AM

Hello All,

I have been off the forum for a while. I just wanted to know if anyone has done the Barney Riley Jeep Trail down to the East Fork of the Carson River hot springs and if it is a tough trail or if my stock 96 Toyota T-100 with 200k miles could make it. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

Been meaning to do that for a long time. From what I"ve read its an easy trail, but lots of small rocks. Kinda bouncy like a washboard road if understand it right. Been meaning to camp down the road (nice campground down where highway 4 comes in) and do it in the Jeep. Probably still could, hasn't been much snow yet.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:27 PM

Yeah, it looked easy to me but then I saw pictures of a rock crawler jeep in a sluice between the trees going over coffee table sized boulders and I know my t-100 won't make that. I have read a little bit about people needing to be winched out of there too so I got a little leary of going. I haven't bought a another fj40 as a toy yet so I only have my stock daily driver and no winch. Any one out there been on this thing? That can give Craig and I some first hand advice.

Thanks,

Rich
Rich 2007 Toyota Tundra Limited with 1989 FWC/ATC Fleet Hybrid fully refurbished

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,775 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:05 AM

Hi Rich,

I have never been there but I did Google search and here is the search and a link from California Jeeper. Click on some of the other link pages for more info and pictures. Might have two rigs just in case......

http://californiajee...rney/review.htm

http://www.google.co...ley Jeep Trail

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,026 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:59 AM

Yeah, thats one link I remember. Looking at that one spot, I wouldnt take my truck through that. For the Jeep it looks pretty easy but you never know what mother nature might do from one season to the next.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:45 AM

Hi PVS Toy,

I did that same search and found the same pages and those pictures of the jeep in the rocks are what convinced me not to try the trail last weekend. That is a lifted jeep with 33's or 35's on it and a fair bit of travel in the front suspension and those are big rocks. There is no way my stock T-100 could get through that spot. I still haven't been able to find someone that's actually done it to find out if that guy in the jeep was just having fun in there and there's an easy way around or if you have to go through that section and more importantly, is that the worst that trail has to offer. I did find this post and pic on the Tundra sollutions forum:

http://www.tundrasol...php/photo/35709

The first truck looks like a stock taco. If that truck could make it then mine can. I posted a comment on that forum also to try to get some info but I haven't heard anything yet.

#7 rich

rich

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

I found this series of 80+ pictures of the Barney Riley Trail and for the most part it looks doable but there are a few stretches that look like they would put the hurt on a stock truck for sure. Alas, I think I need to buy another FJ40 or beef up my T-100 to go down this trail.

http://rides.webshot...6fdxFnC?start=0

#8 erod

erod

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:03 PM

rich, those are some great pics! thanks for posting!

Erod 2002 Tacoma, TRD supercharger, exhaust, headers, URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit, ARB front bumper, OME shocks and coils, OME 7 leaf packs, Ride-rite airbags. 2002 FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users