#1 PaulThePhotographer

PaulThePhotographer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay Area

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on here. I hope it is in the correct Board. If not please move it to the correct board.

I have a 2012 Tacoma 4x4 with the Towing package. And I have trying to figure out what would best work for me as a Photo-Vehicle.

I have went through many different options, but nothing fits my style. So I have kind of come on the conclusion that I might have to build my own.

But, being a Wildlife and Nature Photographer, and living in Florida, the season is in FULL swing now. And if I try to build my own, I will definitely miss this wading bird season in Florida.

We also do not have many small, newer pop-ups that fit the 2nd Gen Tacomas'. Except some that I have seen that were so expensive that it did not make sense to buy it.

SO my question:

As stated on this forum by other the OLDER Pop-Ups that have the 48 wheel well distance of 48 are a lot more available and a lot cheaper.

I was wondering, Could I purchase a reasonable older Pop-Up with a 48" and chop it down to 44" to fit my Tacoma? I realize that would not be a perfect solution but I believe it would allow me to capture the rest of the Wildlife Season here in Florida. Then after that season ended. either sell it, or possibly use some parts from it to make my own.

As for my own, I am still torn. Using my Tacoma, which I would have some more questions. Or maybe cutting and building something like the "Phoenix Pop Up for the Jeep" for my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I also have a 1990 Mini-RV build by National on a Toyota T-100, but it needs work. I have not driven, or even started it, in quite a few years. That was my mode of transportation many years ago.

Thanks for any help.

And, just in case I did several searches to see if I could see if this same question had been asked before, but I could not it. Sorry.

PaulThePhotographer

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:09 PM

Don't how well that would work.Seems like a lot of framework integrity would be lost,not to mention all the work involved.
Good luck with this project.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. What you are proposing has been done, but will still require a bit of time and skill. On a Four Wheel Camper, you need to remove the interior cabinets (if it is not a shell), remove the wooden floor and lower sides, and remove the lower skin of the camper. Then the aluminum frame will need to be cut down to size and rewelded. Then build a new flooring section to fit the resized front and back, and put it all back together. This is why many of the older campers are priced so well. If you can do the work and have the time, you could probably do pretty well converting old campers to fit new trucks and reselling them in the slow season. Good luck.

Ted

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

I think you will regret doing that.

Too much time and the camper still might not fit.

48" wide campers are made for a full sized truck.

You can chop one, but it will be very tall and very wide for Tacoma.

: (

Keep looking for a smaller camper.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

Since you have multiple vehicles, either swap out to get a Tundra, Chev, Ford, Dodge to fit a 48" camper. That fix can be done in a weekend, and not cost you valuable shooting time. The T-100 could do it, but if it requires a lot of work, sell it and move on.

I shoot a lot too, and use a Tundra Access cab with the backseat removed and a Pelican 1510 with two bodies and lenses in it's place. It works for me. I have a Kryptonite cable threaded through the truck interior so I can lock down the box, too. Someday I would like to have an aluminum shooting platform on top of my Hawk.

I'm not experienced at camping in hot & humid climates, so other's may chime in with better suggestions. I think you will want two fans and at least one with the multi-speed controller.

Good luck and good shooting!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 PaulThePhotographer

PaulThePhotographer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay Area

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

Thanks everyone for their information and suggestions.

I will scratch that idea off the "possible" list!

PaulThePhotographer

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Good lord we have a lot of photographers here. Must resist urge to spend on another hobby Posted Image

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

How about getting a quote from Coyote RV for a custom pop-up? I bought a custom "built for the Canadian winter" camper from Coyote RV because I found that their price was only slightly more than a non custom from some other pop-up builders.
1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users