• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:32 PM

Seems to me if one were to leave camp unattended for a day-long hike in a lonely campground or while boondocking, the camper would be slightly more secure against break-in (or vandalism) with the top in the lower position. I realize it wouldn't take all that much to smash in the side window, but still the vinyl side material seems ripe for mischief.

Or am I being paranoid? (Probably, yes.)

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#2 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

I think a thief would be more likely to break the back window and unlock the door from the inside. The only reason I could envision for cutting the fabric would be to make less noise. One thing for sure, if they want to get in and the top is down, they'll definitely break a window. Just like a house, if they want to get in, they will. If you're that worried about it, install an alarm.

I've never had anything stolen while camping. I'm curious about other's. Also, maybe someone associated with Four Wheel or ATC can let us know if they've ever repaired the fabric that was cut during an act of theft or vandalism.

#3 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

Also, maybe someone associated with Four Wheel or ATC can let us know if they've ever repaired the fabric that was cut during an act of theft or vandalism.

That would be interesting to know. Hopefully somebody will chime in.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:42 PM

Seems to me if one were to leave camp unattended for a day-long hike in a lonely campground or while boondocking..............................

It is in these situations and areas we feel safest.

I've never had anything stolen while camping. I'm curious about other's. Also, maybe someone associated with Four Wheel or ATC can let us know if they've ever repaired the fabric that was cut during an act of theft or vandalism.

Most thefts that we've seen are at busy trailheads where people are coming and going and items are left in view.

That would be interesting to know.

We agree.

Each of us need to make our own decision on precautions to take. Information from others and building up our own experience base helps.

Thanks for bringing this up Mr. Bill as we are asked this question by other pop up cultists when we travel.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

I worry more about bear breaking in than humans in many places we go.

There was a thread a while back discussing which is more secure, camper or truck cab.
Sometimes when we are making quick stops for hikes at more populated trail heads I am concerned.
I've recently worked out lockable storage in my truck cab.

I suspect if someone really is going to break in they will prefer the door, with a familiar lock, compared to the awkwardly high liner.
But that's just a guess. :unsure:

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Dunno about on tacoma's and such my the liner on my dodge 2500 didn't start till something like 7' in the air. Seems like it'd be a PITA to try and cut/climb through that...

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 ATCJeff

ATCJeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationsacramento

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

I think a thief would be more likely to break the back window and unlock the door from the inside. The only reason I could envision for cutting the fabric would be to make less noise. One thing for sure, if they want to get in and the top is down, they'll definitely break a window. Just like a house, if they want to get in, they will. If you're that worried about it, install an alarm.

In the 35 years I've been building and repairing both ATC and FWC I've never seen or heard of a sideliner being cut or damaged due to vandalism

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,344 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

In the 35 years I've been building and repairing both ATC and FWC I've never seen or heard of a sideliner being cut or damaged due to vandalism

Thanks Jeff!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

Just like your house,if you make less inviting to break in the better.Don't leave valuable items within sight.I don't even leave the rear steps out if I am waay for a long time.Why give someone the opportunity.
I am not paranoid just want to have a nice trip with as few problems as possible.

As for dropping the top while away,there are some camping places that suggest/require this.
I think the Teklinika campground in Denali is one.At least that was the rumor I heard while there.Since I was going to be away for a long part of the day while I camped in Denali I always dropped the top,just to play it safe.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 LT Traveler

LT Traveler

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

I try not to worry about stuff like this. Going on vacation we try to leave the house locked and a porch light on, If we worried too much we'd never leave the house. When leaving the camper we leave the curtains drawn, door locked and outside stuff consolidated. Once again, if we were always worried about it we wouldn't have any fun and we wouldn't explore beyond the camp site. Dropping and raising the top all the time once camped would be a pain in the ass. What will be will be, regardless of your efforts. Go have fun and don't worry about it would be my recommendation.
2004 Nissan Titan w/ 2011 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users