18 replies to this topic

#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

I try not to worry about stuff like this. Going on vacation we try to leave the house locked and a porch light on, If we worried too much we'd never leave the house. When leaving the camper we leave the curtains drawn, door locked and outside stuff consolidated. Once again, if we were always worried about it we wouldn't have any fun and we wouldn't explore beyond the camp site. Dropping and raising the top all the time once camped would be a pain in the ass. What will be will be, regardless of your efforts. Go have fun and don't worry about it would be my recommendation.

Excellent attitude. My thoughts also.
Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thanks everyone for chipping in on the topic. I'm not going to let my worries keep me from enjoying the camper or a long hike, either. Just wanted to tap into the group to see if there was something obvious that I was missing. If I'm camped I'll probably leave the top up; if I've driven to a trail head, then it will be natural to leave it down.

Has anyone actually had bear problems in the lower 48? I know some of the campgrounds really try to throw a scare into folks about this.

Bill

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#13 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

ain'tToo

Excellent attitude. My thoughts also.
Frank

Me too, absolutely. I ain't gonna worry about it. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#14 Overland Hadley

Overland Hadley

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationLake Superior North

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

In the 35 years I've been building and repairing both ATC and FWC I've never seen or heard of a sideliner being cut or damaged due to vandalism

Thanks for the info.
Nathanael - Large Format Landscape Photography
www.KuenzliPhotography.com

2012 Four Wheel Camper - The FWC Build
"If life was fair, Utah would be closer to home" DD

#15 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

I'm fairly sure a bit screwdriver or small crowbar will get someone in the door fairly easily. I never lower the top when I'm gone. I like to leave the windows open also to keep the air circulating.

The way I see it is if you don't think the area is safe you probably shouldn't be camping there. My driveway is another thing but not much I can do about that (do have a video camera watching my truck so at least I know who to curse).

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#16 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

And to beat a dead horse here: If one was going to worry... I'd think the camper is safer with the top up because there's a possibility that somebody is in there. Of course if they knock or call out an you don't answer, you're either sleeping or gone or ignoring them, but it might make them hesitate a little. And that's about all you can do (if anything) -- make it slightly less appealing to the opportunists.

If a bear wants in and it's a big enough bear, I don't think it matters either way.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#17 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

My truck came with a factory alarm system but I haven't felt the need to add an alarm system to the camper.
Don't tell anyone......but I added a fake one. Just a flashing led for a couple of bucks for the camper.
Might cause an evil doer to move on to another target.

51-ZY-yRi2L.jpg
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Has anyone actually had bear problems in the lower 48? I know some of the campgrounds really try to throw a scare into folks about this.

Nothing is out of the question but I would tend to think its more of an issue for slob campers. Don't leave smelly food out in bear country and then wonder why you've attracted bears...

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#19 gbail

gbail

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • LocationSouthwest deserts or Northwest mountains

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

Carry good insurance.

Remember that everything in your rig is replaceable.

Go out, have fun and don't be worrying about your campsite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users