14 replies to this topic

#1 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

My Engel lasted two seasons then developed a bad "growl". I thought I had it narrowed down to the fan. I contacted Engel and they sent me a new fan for a nominal fee. Replaced the fan but something in there is still very noisy.

I didn't use it the next year, kept me awake. This year I decided to use it in my store room as an extra freezer. As the storeroom is next to my bedroom it kept waking me up from in the next room!!!

The only service center in Boise from Engel's website is an RV dealer who has never heard of Engel!!!!

It is going to cost too much to ship it somewhere to get fixed so I am looking at a Dometic from Camping World.
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#2 camper357

camper357

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

I'll take that noisy engel off your hands.

My Engel lasted two seasons then developed a bad "growl". I thought I had it narrowed down to the fan. I contacted Engel and they sent me a new fan for a nominal fee. Replaced the fan but something in there is still very noisy.

I didn't use it the next year, kept me awake. This year I decided to use it in my store room as an extra freezer. As the storeroom is next to my bedroom it kept waking me up from in the next room!!!

The only service center in Boise from Engel's website is an RV dealer who has never heard of Engel!!!!

It is going to cost too much to ship it somewhere to get fixed so I am looking at a Dometic from Camping World.

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Silvertip,

When I first replaced my three way refrigerator with an electric, I installed an Engel I bought off of FWC. They removed it from a new camper because the owner complained about how loud it was. It vibrated so bad my pots and screen door rattled. I could feel the vibration while in bed. FWC was kind enough to refund my money. I then bought an electric fridge with a Danfoss compressor. A huge difference! Very quiet and , IMO, better built. There are several manufacturers that use Danfoss compressors. Best bang for the buck I found is Truckfridge. These are the refrigerators installed in XP campers.

Ted

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#4 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Thanks Ted. My RV Dealer is researching 12 volt built ins for me too. I'll be sure to have him look for a danfoss system!!!
2011 F250 SCAB 6.2 gas 373 FX4 Lariat 4" Lift 35" Toyos 16.5 Warn Locked & Loaded 2007 SunLite

#5 Silvertip47

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit

• Members
  • 478 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

I'll take that noisy engel off your hands.

Send me 500 bucks and I'll ship it to you!!! :D

#6 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Ted do you have the built in one, what are the amp draw numbers like? The portable truck fridge units specifically say the danfoss unit. I don't see that listed on the built in ones specifically and it also says an average consumption of 24watts which is large. I hope/assume that was a rather conservative number.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#7 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Pods, I have the smaller built in with the front opening door. Fit into the existing location with very little modification. Have not put any kind of meter on it but the draw is similar to most, a little over two amps/hr. 24 Watts/hr converts to about 2.2 Amps/hr.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#8 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

So over a 24hr period you're averaging 48ah of draw? I wouldn't say similar to most portable units (and I presume the truck fridge portable too?), those tend to pull in the .8-1ah average from what I've read and also experienced with my ARB, that's a big difference. I was assuming/hoping that 24watt number was conservative but maybe not. I just want to confirm I'm understand your post correctly. This would be something to seriously factor in when picking a portable unit verse front load if that is the case.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#9 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,040 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

I need to purchase a new meter and check mine, but totally unscientific testing by ear says in normal conditions, it probably runs about 1/4 of the time? Could be more, its pretty quiet and I usually don't hear it at all.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#10 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

I need to purchase a new meter and check mine, but totally unscientific testing by ear says in normal conditions, it probably runs about 1/4 of the time? Could be more, its pretty quiet and I usually don't hear it at all.

That's just about what mine does, about 15 minutes per hour when it's full and everything is cold.
Give yours some time, if it's an Engel, it will get noisy. Since mine is out of warranty I plan on pulling it out and taking a look and see if I can find the reason for the noise and vibration. Might just be some rubber compressor mounts. It takes something just short of a nuclear blast to wake me up, so I sleep well with both the heater and Engel running.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users