5 replies to this topic

#1 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationVentura/Oxnard CA

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

I am looking into adding solar charging into my Six Pac T100S. I've been reading all day and have some questions about charge controllers.

Some info before I state my questions.

- I do not think I need my controller to provide power to the load. As long as it charges the batteries for me, I'm fine with that. Accessing the load would be another hurdle that I don't want to figure out now especially since I can't even find the battery isolator that was installed from the factory thought I know it is functioning.

- My aux/house battery is located in an outside compartment. There is no way to mount the controller in the same compartment.

- Because I only want the controller for topping off/maintaining my batteries I think I am okay with just going with a PWN controller versus a MPPT controller.

1) My first question is related to temperature. Both Morningstar controllers I have been looking at have onboard temperature sensor. Can the SS-10L-12v be used with an external temperature sensor?
http://www.ecodirect...r-ss-10l-12.htm

2) I do not have a sealed deep cycle battery. The two morningstar controllers (SS-10L-12V and Sunkeeper SK-12) I've looked at both state they are designed to charge sealed/gel batteries. Should I reconsider and start looking for a sealed battery, or is there a controller that is in the same price range, has the same good reviews, and is suited for my traditional lead acid battery?

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

#2 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

I just did a little more reading. I was incorrect, the SS-10L-12v has a jumper to tell it which type of battery you have (wet or gel), but it does not seem to be able to utilize a remote temperature sensor...

Can anybody recommend a controller that will support a wet battery and a remote temp sensor?

#3 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

If you didn't want the load connect you picked the wrong base unit sunsaver. The SS-10 is cheaper than the SS-10L. But neither have remote temp sensing. Probably the cheapest that does is the sunsaver duo off hand.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#4 oxnard111

oxnard111

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

If you didn't want the load connect you picked the wrong base unit sunsaver. The SS-10 is cheaper than the SS-10L. But neither have remote temp sensing. Probably the cheapest that does is the sunsaver duo off hand.

Ya, that is what it seems like to me also. The duo is the cheapest. Can the duo be ran without the remote display?

#5 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

Should be able to. Download the manual off Morningstar if you want to verify.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Have the SS Duo with no remote display. Yet to be installed, but I saw nothing that required the display, only that it was an option if I wanted it. With the Tri-Metric already in place the display was pointless.
Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users