23 replies to this topic

#11 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

Hey Ethergore,
I have a Hallmark Milner LX and couldn't be happier. The Hallmark Milner is very similar to the Outfitter Caribou. As a matter of fact, the reason for that is the owners of Hallmark and Outfitter are brothers! They went their seperate ways years ago and now have the two companies. I was close to purchasing a FWC Hawk, but for several reasons went with the Hallmark. When you look at the Hallmark and the Outfitter interiors it is hard to tell one from the other. I have a friend that has the Caribou, so I spent a lot of time looking at that, in addition to the FWC Hawk and ATC brands. One thing you should realize is the weight issue should NOT enter into your decision. If you do the neccesary homework (which I did) you will find they all weigh roughly the same amount, when you compare the similar option installations. So, my suggestion to you would be make your decision on all other aspects before you concern yourself with the weight. PM me if you need any other input.

Good luck with your decision.

Paul

Thanks for your input. I considered the Milner as well but it is a little out of my price range. I do really like the camper and I do tend to see more info for Hallmark Vs. Outfitter but I can't justify spending over 20k after options when I can save 5k on a similarly spec'ed Caribou Lite. (I'm basing that price quote on their YouTube Video so please correct me if I'm wrong) I also don't know if they have a unit ready to sell like Outfitter does. As far as weight goes, I cant help but factor it in. I know my truck can handle the weight but lighter will still be better for multiple reasons. Milner's quoted dry weight is 995# without a refrigerator vs. 850# with a refrigerator for the Caribou Lite. I agree thats a tiny amount and I would say it factors into my decision by about 5%. The other problem I have is that I have tried calling them on two different days (confirmed working days) and they never seem to answer their phone.

#12 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

You haven't mentioned where your located, but if your in the vicinity of Colorado you should come and check them out in person. Hallmark, Outfitter, and Phoenix have factories here and now FWC has a dealership here. All within 30 or 40 miles of each other.

You'll be spending a lot of money....make an informed, up close, hands on decision.

Unfortunately I am located in Southern California just out of good reach of all these wonderful companies. I already made the trip up north the see FWC but couldn't see ATC because they had no models to show at the time I was there. The good thing about buying the Caribou is that I can just 'roll' out there and buy it on the spot or walk away. I really appreciate being able to buy a camper without waiting for it to be built. Call me impatient but I really don't see why some of these companies can't have pre-built models. I do agree I would like to make a hands on decision but now we get back to the point of this topic, no one seems to have one of these things. I was hoping someone from the Colorado area has been to see one of these campers in person to give me their take since it is so far away for me.

You made the statement with the word "here." Do you live near the factory or know someone who has been there? I'm not going to ask if you would go but I figure someone on this forum has been there and can report on this camper.

Again to summarize what I'm really trying to accomplish with this thread, I just want to find at least one person on this forum with a little bit of experience with this type of camper who can give their 'yay' or 'nay' on what they think. The video of the camper looks wonderful, the price seems right, the camper will fit my truck perfectly and I can get the camper by my deadline. It all looks good on paper and computer screens but I'd like to minimize my risk of traveling 16 hours to Colorado to only be disappointed.

Thanks again everyone for your input. I want my decision to be criticized since it is a big purchase. Any help is appreciated.

#13 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

I do agree with Rotti. I spent roughly two years going through all of the major camper brands I could before I pulled the trigger. When I saw people with campers I would stop and talk to them about their experiences and get feedback on any problems they may have had with the camper. I am glad I took the time to do that, as I can look back and see for me, I made the right choice. I am not familiar with the "Caribou Lite" model. The one my friend owns is the "Caribou". I am curious what the "Lite" part of that model implies. Also, the price seems a little low for a new (2012/2013)camper. Did I misunderstand that this is a new camper or did you mean it was used but new to you? I am surprised you have had issues getting through to the Hallmark folks. I have never had a difficult time as they have staff in the showroom to answer calls during business hours. Although I have had no issues other than informational questions I have always been sucessful in getting in touch with them. I can't speak highly enough about how freindly and helpful they were and have been since I bought the camper. I don't know what they have in stock at this time but Hallmark did have various models ready to go when I went up there to buy mine. They were kind enough to mount it that day and I was on my way after they gave me a full run down on the workings of the unit. By the way, when I went to the Hallmark factory I had already made the decision to buy the Milner LX, so, it was just a matter of what was available when I got there.

Good luck.

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#14 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:38 PM

I'll throw my .2 cents in here for what it's worth...I wouldn't worry about weight with your truck either. I'd focus more on the options you need, quailty of the product, and that if fits you. With this type of camper and with a 250/2500 sized rig or better...weight is really a non-factor. If you were looking at a big hard side, then it would be a factor but these light pop-ups really weight nothing compared to the big hard sides. What is the wet weight (ready to roll) of these things? 1500lbs?

I might have to go look at them in person if it were me especially if I had never seen one. I haven't heard or read much about Outfitter. There is lots of info out there on ATC, FWC, and Hallmark however. Good luck in your search.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#15 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:43 PM

I do agree with Rotti. I spent roughly two years going through all of the major camper brands I could before I pulled the trigger. When I saw people with campers I would stop and talk to them about their experiences and get feedback on any problems they may have had with the camper. I am glad I took the time to do that, as I can look back and see for me, I made the right choice. I am not familiar with the "Caribou Lite" model. The one my friend owns is the "Caribou". I am curious what the "Lite" part of that model implies. Also, the price seems a little low for a new (2012/2013)camper. Did I misunderstand that this is a new camper or did you mean it was used but new to you? I am surprised you have had issues getting through to the Hallmark folks. I have never had a difficult time as they have staff in the showroom to answer calls during business hours. Although I have had no issues other than informational questions I have always been sucessful in getting in touch with them. I can't speak highly enough about how freindly and helpful they were and have been since I bought the camper. I don't know what they have in stock at this time but Hallmark did have various models ready to go when I went up there to buy mine. They were kind enough to mount it that day and I was on my way after they gave me a full run down on the workings of the unit. By the way, when I went to the Hallmark factory I had already made the decision to buy the Milner LX, so, it was just a matter of what was available when I got there.

Good luck.

Paul

The caribou "lite" is an entirely different model than the caribou. It is in it's second year of production. It is a lower profile than the original caribou and seems to compare more to the FWC Hawk and the ATC Panther. I feel that the Milner and the original caribou are a little more luxurious compared to the caribou lite. The camper price I am quoting is their new, right off the showroom floor price, here is a link to the camper on their site: http://www.outfitter...caribou-lite-65 . It is very competitively priced especially considering that the price includes installation, 3-way refrigerator, side dinette, screen, front sliding window and many other features that quickly add up on other manufacturer's campers. Despite that competitive price, I wouldn't say it was too low considering the trade off of being a new adopter. The price, ability to purchase by my deadline and the beauty of the camper are influencing me to take the risk of being an early adopter.

However, being that there are Caribou Lites on the road as we speak, I'm hoping one of them will chime in and let me know what they think. If not, maybe someone from the Colorado area is close to the factory or has already been to the factory and can tell me what they think. Otherwise, I'll be heading there close to the end of May and I'll be sure to give my 2 cents.

#16 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'll throw my .2 cents in here for what it's worth...I wouldn't worry about weight with your truck either. I'd focus more on the options you need, quailty of the product, and that if fits you. With this type of camper and with a 250/2500 sized rig or better...weight is really a non-factor. If you were looking at a big hard side, then it would be a factor but these light pop-ups really weight nothing compared to the big hard sides. What is the wet weight (ready to roll) of these things? 1500lbs?

I might have to go look at them in person if it were me especially if I had never seen one. I haven't heard or read much about Outfitter. There is lots of info out there on ATC, FWC, and Hallmark however. Good luck in your search.

Like I was saying earlier, weight is not my concern "maybe 5%" which means basically not a factor in my decision at all. What is a major factor is price and getting this camper by the end of May. My original plan was to buy used but that is more hassle than it is worth unless one falls into my lap. Ive already spent $300 + in gas trying to chase down used models and I am really starting to like the idea of just buying new. In addition, my wife loves the idea of buying new which is always a bonus to have the wife fully on board.

So to put it clearly one more time, weight is not a concern for me.

Thanks again to everyone for all the comments.

#17 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,355 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

In addition, my wife loves the idea of buying new which is always a bonus to have the wife fully on board.

Time to go get your camper! Have fun and great adventures! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#18 Phird05

Phird05

• Members
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCrested Butte, CO

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

Ethergore, I just looked at the web-site and you're right the "Lite" version is somewhat scaled down from the Caribou and also my Milner. The thing is though, the layout is VERY similar to my Milner and the Caribou. I would have to assume the build quality is as good as their other products and the fact is you can't touch many GOOD campers out there for that price any more. They have been in business a long time and according to my friend, they will stand behind their product and are very supportive after the sale. I second ski3pin's comment....go get your camper and enjoy!

Good Camping!

Paul
2008 F-150 5.4L QC 4x4, ride rite air bags, 2009 Hallmark Milner LX

#19 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Time to go get your camper! Have fun and great adventures! :)

I can't wait!

#20 Ethergore

Ethergore

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Ethergore, I just looked at the web-site and you're right the "Lite" version is somewhat scaled down from the Caribou and also my Milner. The thing is though, the layout is VERY similar to my Milner and the Caribou. I would have to assume the build quality is as good as their other products and the fact is you can't touch many GOOD campers out there for that price any more. They have been in business a long time and according to my friend, they will stand behind their product and are very supportive after the sale. I second ski3pin's comment....go get your camper and enjoy!

Good Camping!

Paul

Now that is some good info. I have heard good things about their other models so I'm hoping this one will be just as good. I'm glad you are able to second my opinion that this seems like a good deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users