• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Searching for DL

Searching for DL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

I am planning to buy a used Alaskan camper. Probably an 8 footer.
What models of used pickup trucks are recommended?

Thanks

#2 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:17 AM

Welcome to Wander The West. While I'm not an Alaskan owner I am familiar with the brand. The Alaskans are still in production and framed about the same as they always have been, out of Northwest Douglas Fir and Plywood. That translates to being on the heavier side. Durable but heavier. While you'll see them on 1/2 ton trucks, a 3/4 ton truck, I think, is better suited for the job.

The question is dimensions. The older Alaskans were approximately 48" at the base so about any full size should work for that one. The critical measurement is bed sidewall height. Over the years bed dimensions change, and change between manufactures. If the camper is shorter than the sidewalls then a platform will be required to compensate for the difference. Another measurement to consider is overall truck width. The two piece telescoping construction does not lend itself well to standard swing out corner jack mounts to compensate for truck width. I don't think many Alaskans were built with bumped out construction in the rear. If you find one that is then tailgate opening width will be a consideration. Tailgate openings have gotten narrower in the newer trucks.

I know this is not your question nor do I know your location but if you're open to anything, here is a combo in the N.W. http://eugene.craigs...3742326093.html It's not mine nor am I affiliated with it.

I wish you well in your search.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#3 myout

myout

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationLost Coast

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:26 AM

I had my NCO on a 77 F250 Highboy and now have it on a 95 F 250 diesel XLT that the previous owner souped up with hauling equipment. So definitely that range of Ford years work! I can barely tell its on there except truck rides smoother. :D

#4 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:40 AM

I have mine on a '78 F-250 I barley notice its on there. I think they are a bit heavy for a half ton.

#5 Searching for DL

Searching for DL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

I had my NCO on a 77 F250 Highboy and now have it on a 95 F 250 diesel XLT that the previous owner souped up with hauling equipment. So definitely that range of Ford years work! I can barely tell its on there except truck rides smoother. :D

Thanks. Here are a couple more questions:
What F250 models come with an 8' cargo bed? Do I just need to rule out the "Crew Cab" styles?

I need good back support in the seats. Does anyone know how hard it would be to replace the seats on an older model with seats that have good back support?

#6 Searching for DL

Searching for DL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

I have mine on a '78 F-250 I barley notice its on there. I think they are a bit heavy for a half ton.

Thanks. Great info.
Here are a couple more questions:
What F250 models come with an 8' cargo bed? Do I just need to rule out the "Crew Cab" styles?

I need good back support in the seats. Does anyone know how hard it would be to replace the seats on an older model with seats that have good back support?

#7 Searching for DL

Searching for DL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Welcome to Wander The West. While I'm not an Alaskan owner I am familiar with the brand. The Alaskans are still in production and framed about the same as they always have been, out of Northwest Douglas Fir and Plywood. That translates to being on the heavier side. Durable but heavier. While you'll see them on 1/2 ton trucks, a 3/4 ton truck, I think, is better suited for the job.

The question is dimensions. The older Alaskans were approximately 48" at the base so about any full size should work for that one. The critical measurement is bed sidewall height. Over the years bed dimensions change, and change between manufactures. If the camper is shorter than the sidewalls then a platform will be required to compensate for the difference. Another measurement to consider is overall truck width. The two piece telescoping construction does not lend itself well to standard swing out corner jack mounts to compensate for truck width. I don't think many Alaskans were built with bumped out construction in the rear. If you find one that is then tailgate opening width will be a consideration. Tailgate openings have gotten narrower in the newer trucks.

I know this is not your question nor do I know your location but if you're open to anything, here is a combo in the N.W. http://eugene.craigs...3742326093.html It's not mine nor am I affiliated with it.

I wish you well in your search.

Your information is very helpful. Do you know of a convenient listing of cargo bed dimensions? A book is good too because the google searches are getting very obtuse with off subject advertisements.

I'm located in Seattle and appreciate links to Alaskan Campers as far away as Boise or Redding. I am thinking that I will focus on dry side of the mountains posts to avoid mold and water damage, but kick myself for passing up on an add for a '78 F250 with 48,000 miles and camper for $11,000. The rig had been garaged and was pristine.

#8 caseboy

caseboy

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Locationkey center,wa.

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

welcome,

mine is a 1964 10ft nco on a 97 f250 diesel 3/4ton longbed with an extended cab. the camper is 10ft.lots of room in the bed. plenty of power.i got mine with 178,000 miles on it for 10grand.i'm told diesels last for several hundred thousand if maintained . there's lots of deals out there. my only complaints are that it doesn't turn on a dime(long wheel base) and i wish it had bench seats instead of buckets.my wife still likes to ride "high school" style.if you can get the 10ft'er. it's amazing how much bigger it feels inside. the bed is huge and plenty of room for two plus a third person or misc junk.my bed is 51 inches between wheel wells and 19 inches to top of sides. the camper is a tad over 48 inches wide at base.wood strips under camper and top of rails help support.

wes

Attached Thumbnails

• straps1.JPG
  • seats1.JPG

#9 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

Thanks. Great info.
Here are a couple more questions:

You could run a 8' in a short bed with the tailgate down.

In Fords the seats are completely interchangeable from '72-'98

#10 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:11 AM

Your information is very helpful. Do you know of a convenient listing of cargo bed dimensions? A book is good too because the google searches are getting very obtuse with off subject advertisements.

I'm sorry I do not. Seems that there should be one somewhere, though I have no idea where.

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users