Photo
- - - - -

Anyone replace their headliner on their own?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

Ok, I saw some posts about the headliners. Mine is about 1/3 missing. Just flaking away in Margaritaville. Among the other questions and things I'm going to do, this may be priority one. I saw Stan's offer to call and get some info on what they use and tips & tricks but I didn't see anyone state they actually have done this themselves. I'll try to call tomorrow and see what they tell me. The biggest problem I see is removing the existing support infrastructure as it's stapled to the metal supports. How to get it off w/o breaking it and then putting it back up. I wonder why it's just not screwed? The edges might pose a problem too as it looks like it's tucked under the outside edges/rail which are riveted. I may just have to get close and put another piece of wood across the side/edges.

Anyone? If not, and I try to tackle it, I may document, etc. it.

One question that came up in the other threads is why it's perforated. The best answer I saw was to allow it to breath and reduce condensation. I was originally thinking I might put up some luan or something similar but I guess that's not a good idea.

My insulation looks good and not sure why the headliner failed. I don't see any clues about water leakage anywhere.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,580 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Sounds like the rabric ones just rotted over time. Defender carries the perf stuff. I think mark ingles did his.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

I looked at my headliner and it doesn't look like an easy task. Removing the trim looks to be one of the easier tasks in the job. However, this would be the time to wire for solar, a fan, extra lights, etc.

I've never considered applying 303 on the headliner. Has anyone done this? Do you think it may extend the life of the headliner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users