#1 imcolej

imcolej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

My first trip report with a camper. Considering I've been dreaming about this first trip for a couple of years now I really didn't get enough pictures. I will work on that for future tr's.

Tuesday morning I left Bend, OR on the way to pick up our new FWC Hawk shell in a Medford, OR walmart parking lot. I went through the Umpqua Natl Forest as well as the Rogue River/Siskiyou Natl Forest to get there. It was great. Just my dog and I with tunes and an empty truck bed with no tailgate. Saw the rogue river for the first time and will be back! Hopefully with my buddy and his drift boat.

Very eager to make sure nothing went wrong, I got to the walmart three hours early! I introduced myself to Kirk the FWC installer. He looked at me like a was a little crazy for being there so early but I assured him and would go kill time somewhere else. I also met Frank who was inspecting his FWC Hawk for his noon install. He is planning on taking his rig up to Alaska with his late model Chevy Half Ton. Nice Guy.

IMG_1426.jpg
My hawk is on the very back of the flatbed. I actually went over and patted the camper as if to welcome her to the family.

After I introduced myself to our camper I left and found a dog park. George the wonder dog got a nice stretch and I had an opportunity to take my mind off of the waiting game by talking to other dog owners at the park.

After a very long 3 hours at the dog park/driving around Medford to check out the town, I was back and Kirk was working on getting the truck ready. I told him that it was a long three hours waiting to come back to finally get the Hawk. He looked at me, smiled and said "I bet it was". We talked for the next hour while he was working and I helped him where I could. He was very professional and knew what he was doing.

Here is a picture of the Hawk on the Tundra!
IMG_1430.jpg

more to come... (PS, how do I upload more than two photos in a post? Do I have to get an external hosted account somewhere to keep the photos etc.?)
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
2013 Hawk Shell

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

Congratulations, man!
Very exciting. :)

You can upload photos to anywhere you want on the web -- including a Members Gallery on WTW -- then use the "Insert Image" tool to insert a link to that already-uploaded photo into the post.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 imcolej

imcolej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

Got it. Thanks Mark!
2013 Hawk Shell

#4 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,607 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Got it. Thanks Mark!

A little more exactly, if you use a WTW Gallery as the repository (and similar with some other pic-hosting services) you can copy the "BBCode" that appears below your photo (the text that begins with [img and ends with /img] ) and just paste that directly into the post, without using the Insert Image tool.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#5 Wu Wei

Wu Wei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationNL Tahoe

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:18 AM

You must of been really stoked to see your camper on that flatbed for the first time. I think you'll see lots more first sights with the new rig. Thanks

#6 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

Congrats! Looking forward to the rest of your report.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#7 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:28 PM

Yeah....we need more pictures of your rig camping....and of George!
On the photo hosting, I just starting using http://imgur.com
Very easy and painless way to post pictures.
Happy camping.
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#8 imcolej

imcolej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Ok, with the camper installed, Kirk ran through the camper with me. It was pretty straight forward as we ordered the shell with only a few important options for us. After the walk through, I said goodbye to Kirk and headed off with our new camper. No offense to Medford as it seems like a nice town but I needed to get this thing into the woods ASAP.

I was immediately put at ease with how the thing handled as I was leaving Medford. Really glad I installed the airbags (thanks Lighthawk) a few weeks prior and already had the e-rated bfg ko's. I stopped by the gas station and inflated to about 40psi for the tires and 15 psi for the airbags. I left Medford with a grin that lasted at least 15 miles into Shady Cove, OR and then into the Rogue River Natl Forest! We were losing daylight and I wasn't seeing a lot of forest service roads jetting off into the woods so I figured we would have to use a campground for the night.

I found that the Abbott Creek campground was open so I made a left and headed down the road towards it.

Posted Image

I took a wrong turn and was forced to get onto a dirt road that lead pretty high into the cascades B) . After a couple miles of somewhat steep climbing, I was thrilled with how tight the camper felt attached to the truck and I knew that we had made the right decision going with a pop up. We are not really campground style campers and exploring dirt roads to find places to stay will be much more enjoyable with a pop-up camper.
Posted Image

After turning around and finding the actual road that lead to the campground, I pulled in at around 7pm. I walked George back to the pay area and put my $12 in the receptacle. Went back to the truck and popped the top for the first time(not counting the walkthrough).

Posted Image

Set up my chair, fed george, had a sandwich, got quiet and enjoyed the view. It was a large campground but because it was a Tuesday in May, there were only 3 or 4 other sites being used. I couldn't see any other camps due to the dense foliage on this side of the cascades.
Posted Image

I didn't have time to purge or fill my propane tanks so this first trip didn't include the morning coffee or furnace that we're looking forward to in colder weather. Temps that night were warm and I slept pretty well. The cushions are definitely stiffer that I thought and I see why many of you look into either getting the foam swapped out or going with sleeping pads or other solutions. I'm planning on getting some comfy old school rectangle sleeping bags and seeing how that extra padding works. I was using my down bag which completely flatten out underneath you and provides no extra cushion between you and the bed.

The way I see it, for what you pay for the camper, your sleeping experience better be infinitely better than tent camping or what's the point. I will get this dialed in somehow. George the dog liked the front dinette option turned into a second bed. I'm very happy with this option as it turns into a good size second bed. I could easily sleep in the dinette bed myself with the top down in stealth mode and I'm 6'2. We really like this layout for our needs.

The next morning I had a nice chat with the camp host and headed out.

Posted Image

The camper handled great on the mountain roads. I felt like the sweet spot for me was around 60-65mph.

I need to take a photography class because this mountain was epic in person and I did not capture that at all. A running theme with my current photography skills :D

Posted Image

With genius marketing like this, how could I not stop in?

Posted Image

No pictures getting back into Bend but I gave my first FWC camper wave to someone in a tan tacoma/FWC rig while driving with my own fwc! I'm usually the guy that waves at every person I see in a camper. Doesn't matter if you're in a pop-up, hardside or camper van of some sort...if I see you out there living the dream, I wave. Now I've got my own dream rig!

I was excited to show my wife and little guy our new adventure mobile. They came out and I walked them through everything. My wife and I were checking everything out while our 9 month old was very excited about the spring loaded covers below the benches where the camper is bolted down.

Thanks again for all the tips and information on this site. We are thrilled with our setup and the options we initially ordered. If I had to to it again, the only thing I would change (as of right now :) )would be to get the "opening" front window option just in case I needed to run George in the camper during travel. Right now there is way to get air flow in there while in transit so I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping him back there while traveling. Not a big deal as he is always in the cab with us but it would be nice to have that option.

Posted Image
2013 Hawk Shell

#9 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

Nice story, you sound like a happy camper indeed. Enjoy your new setup.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#10 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:55 PM

Congrats on the camper and the maiden voyage! Enjoyed reading about it. It brought back fond memories of getting my Eagle in an Albuquerque Wal-Mart lot. Now you have the fun of planning your next trip Posted Image

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users