• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

I mount it under the icebox for travel and then deploy it in front of the door when heating. I wanted to allow plenty of overhead room for convection currents, so I didn't mount it permanently under the icebox. The flex hose makes this easy.

Ah I see, with that space you have down there I can see that work.

I know you didn't go to in depth on the modification front but could one assume the regulator that was removed was a threaded component and then one would be just be tasked with plumbing up a new regulated propane supply or was there more to it? I don't have one of these LB's but I'm weighing out my options for adding various catalytic heaters to the rig and also weather to look into adding a quick connect to the propane source.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#12 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 798 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:00 AM

I was just at Camping World and they have what you need to connect your heater to your camper tank, they have the fittings for tank and also the hoses in several lenghts for the Heater Buddy's. I have one of these heaters and they work great, I also use it in my boat while fishing in the winter.

#13 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

I know you didn't go to in depth on the modification front but could one assume the regulator that was removed was a threaded component and then one would be just be tasked with plumbing up a new regulated propane supply or was there more to it? I don't have one of these LB's but I'm weighing out my options for adding various catalytic heaters to the rig and also weather to look into adding a quick connect to the propane source.

I modified the LB because it is what I had. They are available at Wal-Mart for considerably less than $100, so others are likely to have one too.

When using a rubber hose at tank pressure, one must also install an inline filter to keep the dissolved rubber from ruining the LB heater. This is not necessary at regulated pressure.

Also, I didn't want high pressure LPG running through the inside of my camper.

Pods, the regulator is threaded and allows one to use brass fittings from the plumbing dept. to make the changeover.

For the future, I am considering a permanent install of a better heater, but for now, it is what it is.

#14 Barko1

Barko1

• Members
  • 1,635 posts
  • LocationSouthern Appalachians

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

I had bought a catalytic heater but took it back because of the diminished output at altitude. Mr Heater says not above 7000' and I started to realize that is when I needed the heater and I try to spend much of my time at that elevation.
http://www.rverscorn.../catalytic.html is a discussion of the potential dangers of using these inside. Know someone who died in the fall from having a lantern burning in the tent at night, CO got em.
Granby on an F250 in S. NM

#15 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

Also, I didn't want high pressure LPG running through the inside of my camper.

I agree.

Know someone who died in the fall from having a lantern burning in the tent at night, CO got em.

I plan to add a CO detector anyways, I wouldn't consider running a catalytic heater in the rig until I do have one installed.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#16 winter200

winter200

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:10 AM

What size hose did you use and what is the brand of the quick connectors? I am getting close to being finished with my camper rebuild and am thinking about doing the same thing you have done with the LB on an coleman stove rather than installing or buying a full cookstove. I have a 3 burner that came out of the keystone but I think it takes up too much space.
86 Keystone Chev. 2500 HD CCSB Duramax

#17 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

What size hose did you use and what is the brand of the quick connectors? I am getting close to being finished with my camper rebuild and am thinking about doing the same thing you have done with the LB on an coleman stove rather than installing or buying a full cookstove. I have a 3 burner that came out of the keystone but I think it takes up too much space.

A Coleman ™ stove is too dirty (carbon-monoxide-wise) for indoor use.

The cooktop that comes with its own regulator, so that there are two regulators in-line. The result is cleaner and safer.

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

I got the stock two burner model in mine I'm going to be swapping out for a different cook top in the near future (new one is en route just need to coordinate reworking the counter top). If you are of interest and time frames match I'd sell it to ya for whatever we determine is reasonable. There is a sink too if interested. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users