10 replies to this topic

#1 cleoyota

cleoyota

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest CO

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Just a Nagging Question... Does anybody find that they could do Most things that they could do in their Normal camper shell... That they can do in a Fancy-pop-up ??

Just wondering if the Expense and Less MPG's are Really Worth it ?? Because I usually Backpack more than sleep in my TRK...

#2 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

Moved to an appropriate place....

What do you mean by "normal camper shell"? Like a truck canopy?

#3 cleoyota

cleoyota

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

Moved to an appropriate place....

What do you mean by "normal camper shell"? Like a truck canopy?

Just a Regular camper Shell... (topper) :-)

#4 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well first of all not all pop-ups are "fancy". The ones generally discussed on this board I suppose are fancy as they cost more than others. The fancy part is that they are aluminum framed and are designed for years of use in off-road conditions. Whether you want or need a pop-up depends on where you go. Many off road areas have low clearance that won't allow a tall camper to pass.

So if all you are going to do is camp in campgrounds and at trailheads then you probably don't need an aluminum-framed popup.

#5 cleoyota

cleoyota

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

Well first of all not all pop-ups are "fancy". The ones generally discussed on this board I suppose are fancy as they cost more than others. The fancy part is that they are aluminum framed and are designed for years of use in off-road conditions. Whether you want or need a pop-up depends on where you go. Many off road areas have low clearance that won't allow a tall camper to pass.

So if all you are going to do is camp in campgrounds and at trailheads then you probably don't need an aluminum-framed popup.

What i really mean't was.... I can pretty much get by in my Reg-Topper shell... but it would be Nice to have a full-size bed.. an stove. Iv'e done the Rubicon 4 times in my 85 Yota X-tra-cab... just-sayin.. :-}

Was thinkin about buying an Eagle... but i could also save 10-K

#6 BillM

BillM

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationReno

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Cleo,

The Eagle is a good choice if you want a real bed and are tired of sleeping on the ground all of the time. Since you seem to be a minimalist like myself I'd recommend a basic shell model. My wife and I spent a few years camping in our Frontier with just an ARE topper then decided to get an Eagle. Having built and lived in a popup camper for a year I had a good idea of what I wanted. The Eagle fit the bill because it is rugged and light weight. If I'd had the time to build another camper myself it would have been very similar to the Eagle. The cost does seem high but given that I expect to use the camper for 10+ years I feel that I'll get my monies worth. If you are not in a hurry then I'd look for a good used one and you could save yourself several thousand. Good luck however you go.

-Bill

Billm

2008 Frontier with a 2010 Eagle shell

#7 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

Having spent a lot of nights in the back of a fullsize ford that had canopy that was 4" to 6" above the cab (sloped front to back) because I couldn't afford a camper of any kind, I would have to say it's night and day difference. Sure a guy can getby but it's all about comfort and convienence. Add in a girlfriend or wife...and maybe a kid or two. I got tired of loading and unloading gear to make the bed, can't really cook in it if the weather is bad, can't stand up in it just to change your skivies, no heat, no storage, I could probably go on and on...

Heck when I was a kid we camped out of a datsun pickup with a camopy. A piece of plywood across the front on the rails is where I slept and parents were on the bed floor. Talk about tight...

I don't think any camper is really a necessity but it sure is nice tho'...if you have the resources. :)

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#8 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

"Does anybody find that they could do Most things that they could do in their Normal camper shell"

You mean like get comfortable? Age has a lot to do with your answer. I used to sleep in the back of a truck with a topper and wondered why anyone needed a camper. The older you get, the more you need/appreciate creature comforts.

I've done the Rubicon a few times and there is no way I would take my Four Wheel camper on it. It might work with a Tacoma and a FWC shell...maybe.

#9 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I had a FWC Grandby Camper for 8 years for exploring the back roads of the NW with my wife. We sold it to buy an old Airstream and put a truck shell (topper) on the truck. We did not take the Airstream down the gnarly back roads. We used the topper for carrying gear and at times sleeping when we did go down those back roads. We ended up really missing the FWC pop-up. So, we ended purchasing a FWC Shell. We decided to not purchase another FWC full camper set up due to cost, and also to keep the weight down. We leave the FWC on the truck all the time, even when towing the Airstream. I had FWC put some large closets in both rear corners and two small ones in each front corner. I then did some additional basic modifications on my own. We are very happy with the arrangement. As one of the other posters noted, one certainly appreciates the amenities campers can offer. I'm sure many on this forum have made the progression from tents to toppers to a pop-up camper over the years. While the full camper option certainly offers quick access to more amenities compared to the shell, we've found that it doesn't take that much longer to set up the inside once we get to our destination. And, as you noted, there's the cost savings. There's also the option to make some upgrades to the shell down the road if so inclined.

A year or two ago I posted some photos to the forum showing the very basic changes I made to my shell. And there are also several threads showing what others have done. I've seen some pretty impressive "do it yourself" shell builds on the forum and they are worth checking out.

Good Luck

TGK

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:13 AM

We have a lot of variety amongst posters here but the transition from backpacking to car camping and on up to the pop ups stands out as one commonality we (almost) all have. The other is how few have regretted the decision. One day I'll sell my camper but I hope I reach my eighties first. Then its time for one of those fancy motorhomes. Never stop exploring.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users