• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

I’m wondering if you have any advice on propane transport/storage. I have a FWC shell, and somewhat recently learned that you shouldn’t keep the propane in the living space with you (obvious to some of you, I’m sure). I now have a furnace, so the propane needs to go somewhere.

My goal is to be substantially safer than I used to be. I realize I simply can’t make it as safe as if I had the factory propane box installed, but I’d like to make a nice dent in things. In the past, we used to keep the propane tank in the camper while running our Wave 3.

I’d like to build a propane box inside the camper, and I understand this is how they do/allow things in Europe. I’d build a box with plywood, seal the corners, and cover the entire interior with fiberglass to make it airtight. Then I’d have some kind of airtight lid (maybe with rubber weatherstripping that latches down firmly). I’d drill holes in the bottom of the box that pass through the camper floor and vent to the outside (at the rear of the camper where it hangs out past the truck bed, maybe 2 1”hole saw holes). I’d also put a propane detector right next to the box. I can run the hose outside of the camper, so there are no additional holes in the box or connections inside.

Again, it’s not perfect, but I’m curious if it is SO imperfect that it’s not even worth my time and I'd just get a false sense of security. Like, I might as well just keep the propane in the living space with us and save myself the hassle…  I guess I want to protect against smaller propane leaks, when things heat up or if the regulator leaks a little. I don’t know that this would protect against catastrophic high-pressure releases, but I (really) also don’t know if those are more or less likely than smaller leaks. I also realize that it’s important to focus on the magnitude of an event, not just the probability of it…

What about mounting it outside? I’m semi-open to this idea, but I don’t like the idea of the tank being there all the time and sticking out, and I’m not sure how I’d connect/disconnect the hoses when I’m not using the furnace. It doesn’t seem like a good idea to drive around with a hose coming off the tank (mounted high on the rear wall), and I can’t really imagine where the regulator would go since that of course needs to be outside.

Thank you.

Edit to add: BTW I have the sofa on the passenger driver's side, so installing a factory-like propane box where it usually goes won't work unfortunately.

Also edited to say: I plan to run the furnace while the propane is in the propane box (which is in the living space), which might not be clear from my post title.

Edited by camper101, 12 July 2013 - 06:21 PM.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#2 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

What was imperfect about your original idea?  As long as its sealed off and vented you're good.  Just looking for giving the gas a patch of least resistance out. I wouldn't run the hose outside the camper though, just caulk up the pass through or use a bulkhead fitting.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#3 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

What was imperfect about your original idea?  As long as its sealed off and vented you're good.  Just looking for giving the gas a patch of least resistance out. I wouldn't run the hose outside the camper though, just caulk up the pass through or use a bulkhead fitting.

Thanks pods8. I think (hope) it's a decent approach, but I'm not an expert on this stuff. The main problems seem to be:

- There's no upper vent to supply airflow for draining propane out of the box -- only bottom vents (but they only have bottom vents on boat propane lockers, so I figure it can't be that bad)

- Getting the lid to be airtight will be a challenge

#4 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

I store it under the bench next to the open turnbuckle port.  I haven't detected any propane inside the camper using that technique but I'm not an expert.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#5 contento

contento

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSeattle,wa

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:27 PM

I wouldn't think the plywood box would need to be glassed if it was glued and screwed and the hole for the hose to pass into the cabin had a tight fitting grommet.

Good luck finding the extrior door for the propane hatch...I've been looking for a long time while researching for my shell model build out. Gas doors? Water doors? Exterior shower doors? everywhere. Propane doors with the bottom vent? unobtanium.

#6 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

I wouldn't think the plywood box would need to be glassed if it was glued and screwed and the hole for the hose to pass into the cabin had a tight fitting grommet.

Good luck finding the extrior door for the propane hatch...I've been looking for a long time while researching for my shell model build out. Gas doors? Water doors? Exterior shower doors? everywhere. Propane doors with the bottom vent? unobtanium.

Yes it's amazing how hard it is to find anything for a propane box aftermarket. The closest I've found are propane lockers for boats, which aren't cheap, and aren't the right size.

My hatch/door will open into the living space of the camper, so I think it will have to be a lid on the top of the box (that way, just in case it's not airtight, any leaked propane will hopefully settle to the bottom and drain out).

I've been thinking of trying to "double-seal" the door: I'd have rubber weatherstripping (like a refrigerator door) compressed with latches, and inside of the box there'd be another seal with foam weatherstripping. Not sure how to explain that or what you'd call it...

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

Could have a sheet metal shop build you a metal box. Specify that it needs to be gas tight.

Look at Trimlock.com for bulb seals. McMaster.com carries their stuff.

Might have a look at Austin Hardware for latches etc.

Fasten some small grid size wire mesh down over the vent hole to keep stowaways out.

Buy one of the doors that you can find for sale and have it louvered. Some sheet metal shops can do this, or try looking in your local hot rod community for someone with a louver press. I can recommend someone in the 93002/3 area. PM if that helps.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

Thanks Thom those seals look like the real deal. These are the kinds of things I don't know about. That inspires me to get some quotes from fabricators just to see.

FYI for anybody who wants a crappy diagram of what I have in mind, here it is. The lid is flipped open because I'm getting the tank refilled in this shot. The hole is where the leaked propane would drain out. And of course it'd be installed straight, not all crooked (unless I do it myself...).

propanebox2_zps76a28abd.jpg

#9 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

I just picked up a normal RV hatch door for mine, they aren't air tight even without vents and my box is going to be totally sealed off from the camper so I said good enough.

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Do you have an air space under the camper while it is in the bed? Our Phoenix sits on a rubber bed mat, so that vent hole would not work for us.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users