• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

Is there such a business as a RV wrecking yard?  They would have what you need.

#12 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

Do you have an air space under the camper while it is in the bed? Our Phoenix sits on a rubber bed mat, so that vent hole would not work for us.

Yes, the back of the camper hangs out over the end of the bed. The hole is kind of above the bumper (maybe 4-6 inches above?), but the bumper slopes down/away from the truck so I'm comfortable enough with that.

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#13 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

Is there such a business as a RV wrecking yard?  They would have what you need.

I may just have to go that route, but I've been assuming they'd only have side-opening exterior propane boxes, and I'm hoping to have something that will look more or less decent for the insterior of the camper. Might be worth a look though.

#14 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

For anybody following along, I'm now thinking of doing this with plastic. I'm not feeling a ton of confidence about the welders on Craigslist, although it's partly my fault I haven't spent much time figuring this out with them.

Somebody suggested Colorado Plastics, where I can get materials very cheap through the leftovers bin. Then you basically glue the stuff together into a box (but it's stronger than glue... apparently this is called solvent welding?).

I think the sealing lid will be made by a silicone layer that is compressed as you screw the top down (using a flange on the outside of the box and thumb screws or wingnuts).

A thick plastic like 3/4" or more will hopefully be sufficiently strong, and I believe it's basically what they use on boat propane lockers.

#15 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

I went to a local plastic shop and discussed my options. They suggested 1/4 inch ABS plastic (very strong, drills well, inexpensive) for the box.

In their junk bin was the box shown below. This is almost exactly what I have in mind, only the dimensions are different: a box with a lip around the edge. I'll get an extra sheet for a lid, and keep the box closed by screwing the lid to the lip (perhaps only 3 sides will stick out like that so it can sit against the wall). The seal will come from a flat layer of silicone (somebody told me to lay down two layers of tape, put a bunch of silicone down, and scrape along the tape with a straightedge to make a flat layer of silicone).

They can also build the box. I just guessed on dimensions, but for a 5 lb tank box it'd probably be $30 for materials and $70 for labor. Given my skills/equipment/pace, I think I'll have them build it.

Attached Thumbnails

• box.jpg

Edited by camper101, 01 August 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#16 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

After building a prototype with cardboard, I don't want the lip that sticks out like the box above. Instead I think I can have some material sticking IN to the box just at the corners. I'll screw the lid on using those corner pieces.

The box has some excess room for regulator and hosing, so losing an inch at each corner shouldn't block the tank from getting in and out.

#17 Captm

Captm

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:11 PM

A low tech/cost route would be a 5 or 7 gal pail, screw top lid with gasket.  The pail is mounted to the floor with a mushroom head thru hull going through the pail and floor.  The lid has the hose going thru it using a bulkhead fitting.  Sorry no pics. Just thinking outside the box :P

http://www.nitro-pak...a-seal-lid-blue

http://www.westmarin...&classNum=51156

http://www.westmarin...&classNum=50648

2005 Tacoma Dbl cab LB 4x4

2014 Fleet shell

#18 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Captm that is outside the box. I just went out and tested with our toilet (it's a 5 gal gamma sealed, with poo bags of course) and it's not bad at all, but doesn't fit as nicely as I'd like -- sticks out an extra 2 inches or so right at the door, and the hole would have to be farther towards the front where it's barely off the truck bed. I really appreciate the simplicity and cost of that approach though. Those buckets are a great fit for an 11lb tank.

Never knew what a mushroom head was until now, but I might need one.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users