• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

I have the front dinette and enjoy the larger sleeping area it provides. Yes, the one negative is not having a window to look out during your time at the table unless it's only you and the opposite seat is folded down to see out. Otherwise the only outside view is via the back door. I still like the configuration and allows a good amount of storage. Both seats have storage under it's seat bottom plus the slightly elevated floor board opens up for a small storage area that I keep tools and miscellaneous items. Harv

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#12 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

I have the front dinette and enjoy the larger sleeping area it provides. Yes, the one negative is not having a window to look out during your time at the table unless it's only you and the opposite seat is folded down to see out. Otherwise the only outside view is via the back door. I still like the configuration and allows a good amount of storage. Both seats have storage under it's seat bottom plus the slightly elevated floor board opens up for a small storage area that I keep tools and miscellaneous items. Harv

x2, We have Grandby with front dinette.  IMO, if you are looking to maximize us interior functionality, the front dinetteis the most logical.  We don't spend a lot of time sitting in the camper.  If we're eating or sitting at the dinette, it's because the weather is too nasty to be outside.  In that case there's not too much to look at anyway.

#13 mattvogt7

mattvogt7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hey thanks a ton everyone for the help and responses and for welcoming to the forum.  Its great to have the input and I really appreciate it.  I just traded my little Honda Element in yesterday and picked up a lightly used 1st generation Tundra for a good price and am looking forward to start planning for the camper!!  Thanks again for everything.

#14 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

I was looking at getting a side dinette since it looks like when the bed is slide out, you can't sit in the front dinette.  And having a place to sit whilst the coffee is brewing seems important.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#15 JHa6av8r

JHa6av8r

• Validating
  • 510 posts
  • Location.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:39 AM

I was looking at getting a side dinette since it looks like when the bed is slide out, you can't sit in the front dinette.  And having a place to sit whilst the coffee is brewing seems important.

If you have one of the shorter floors for the 6 1/2' and 5 1/2' beds, you won't be able to sit at the front dinette with the slide out.  We have a Grandby, 8' floor, and my wife, son (5), and I can sit at the table with the slide out.  We actually have morning coffee & hot chocolate sitting on the bed (converted dinette) with the cabover slide out.

#16 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

Thanks, that is what I thought from looking at the picutures and measurements.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#17 imcolej

imcolej

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

Hey thanks a ton everyone for the help and responses and for welcoming to the forum.  Its great to have the input and I really appreciate it.  I just traded my little Honda Element in yesterday and picked up a lightly used 1st generation Tundra for a good price and am looking forward to start planning for the camper!!  Thanks again for everything.

Congrats on the Tundra! You're going to love it. We just picked up a new Hawk shell with the front dinette for our gen 1 tundra. Our truck handles the shell great with e rated bfg ko tires and Firestone ride-rite airbags.

The front dinette gives us tons of space. It's a nice symmetrical layout that just feels right.

My wife is really into "flow". When we are looking at houses,apt etc, she knows almost instantly if she likes a layout or not. This has annoyed me at times when I was just looking for a deal or when we needed to move quickly.

When we looked at all the FWC floor plans at the portland outdoor show, it was the same thing. She immediately wanted the front dinette option. I was in total agreement. It just felt right for what we needed. We were looking for a versatile setup that allowed 2 adults and a small child up top with room for another kid below or room below to sleep abudy on a fishing trip etc. The front dinette turns into a nice second bed as others have mentioned. I will definitely use it for stealth camping somewhere and know ill be comfortable.

You can be sitting at the table out of the way and have a conversation with whoever is cooking. In a pinch you can fit four people in the table area with two of the people sitting on the benches next to the seats (this is for the shell front dinette option).

One issue with the front dinette in the shell is that the seats a very high. I'm 6'2 and my feet dangle off the ground when fully seated at the dinette. We will be building some type of platform storage to solve this but I thought it's worth mentioning.
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4
2013 Hawk Shell

#18 steelhead

steelhead

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

We thought long and hard about the front dinette versus the side dinette when we ordered our Fleet. As outlined in the previous posts, both have definite advantages and disadvantages. The deciding factor for us was the abilitiy to see out the window with the side dinette. At the time it did not seem like a major factor but the more we have used the Fleet, the happier we are that we chose the side dinette option.

#19 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,375 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

What's nice in all this discussion is that we do have choices to meet our individual needs or style of camper use. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#20 Connecticut Yankee

Connecticut Yankee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:19 AM

Took delivery of new Hawk with front dinette in June and so far the arrangement is a winner. Only curiosity about the design is that the tabletop can't be moved closer to the Hawk's front window, and as a result it protrudes more than I would like into the space where you stand. I wonder why the mount and the tube support was positioned so that it's impossible to have the tabletop snug up to the window? Instead, there's a seven or eight inch gap over the water tank. Guess I'll turn that into a shelf of some kind.

But the seating is great. On my way home from picking up the camper at Sean Dempsey's in Wisconsin, I slept crosswise in the dinette area with a nice breeze coming in from the windows. Also opened the lower flap doors (that give turnbuckle access) and got additional airflow. Sean tipped me to that approach when it's raining because you can add to airflow without letting water in.

Love the Hawk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users