• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:04 AM

One of the options we did not get when we bought the camper was an awning. The manufactured awnings were nice but too expensive for our budget. We are used to using a tarp when camping and my thought was to adapt a tarp we already had to serve as an awning.

IMG_0274.jpg  My first attempt at an awning last summer was simple but not effective.

I had resolved to come up with a better solution.  In addition, camping in  Minnesota in the summer requires protection from bugs for camping comfort. Depending on the season, no-see-ums, mosquitoes, gnats, deer flies, horse flies, yellow jackets can take a lot of pleasure out of being outdoors. We are not fans of chemical repellents, although they can be necessary.

So the idea became to make an awning and screen room to attach to the camper.

http://travelswithro...new-awning.html

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#2 steelhead

steelhead

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for this post. We also opted to not order the FWC awning and have been researching options in case we decide we want one. The pictures of your solution and the construction details are very helpful. Nice work!

#3 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

Here's another option for that awning;

Awning 1.JPG

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#4 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Very nicely done. Where did you buy the marine hardware and how does the tarp attach to the bracket on the top of the camper?

Thanks,

CWD

CWDT

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Here's another option for that awning;

attachicon.gifAwning 1.JPG

Jay, yes I got good inspiration from your project- especially the awning rail. I needed corner posts for the screen or I might have copied you 100%. Thanks!

Very nicely done. Where did you buy the marine hardware and how does the tarp attach to the bracket on the top of the camper?

Thanks,

CWD

CWD, I bought the hardware at West Marine.

The tarp slides into the awning rail that is attached to the camper. You start at one end and pull it along to the other end. There is a nylon "rope" that is sewn into the hem of the tarp that slides into the rail and holds the tarp securely in there. Sorry I didn't get a good picture of that. Here is an image I found online that shows how it works.

rail.gif

Edited by takesiteasy, 12 June 2013 - 07:47 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

I copied these comments from my trip report thread to keep them with the awning thread:

4buckeye, on 13 Jun 2013 - 2:04 PM, said:snapback.png

Cool trip report! Neat seeing the old carvings. Good idea on the screened awning. Did you guys do that or ordered?

Posted Today, 02:14 AM by takesiteasy:

Thanks! We mostly made the awning. I wrote a blog entry on that too.  http://travelswithro...new-awning.html

4buckeye, Posted Today, 03:19 AM

This is a great write up! We have been so many places (even above 9,000 ft, where there aren't supposed to be 'no see-ums'!) that are swamped with bugs. Anywhere from out west, the UP of Michigan, or most recently near Eastport, Maine; where I may add that we got eaten alive. The bites are still healing from two weeks ago! We may just have to use this engineering.

takesiteasy, Posted Today, 08:21 PM

Thanks. Yeah, bugs can be ridiculous. Help yourself to the 'engineering" and let us know if you make improvements to it. I'm already thinking about how to adapt the setup so it sheds rain better. Right now the water collects in the middle of the tarp in a heavy rain. I use a pole with a tennis ball on top to raise the middle of the tarp. It works but I think I can do better, maybe using some old fiberglass tent poles.

Edited by takesiteasy, 14 June 2013 - 07:36 PM.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#7 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:23 AM

Interesting project. Thanks for posting. Not as much a bug problem in the dry southwest, but shade is often needed.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Interesting project. Thanks for posting. Not as much a bug problem in the dry southwest, but shade is often needed.

Yep, here the awning is mostly for rain, not shade. Hence the need for the bug screen. Yet another couple of reasons for us to be envious of you guys out west. Thanks for the comment.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#9 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

Yep, here the awning is mostly for rain, not shade. Hence the need for the bug screen. Yet another couple of reasons for us to be envious of you guys out west. Thanks for the comment.

You wouldn't have been too envious of the dust storm I returned home to find last Sunday  :angry:

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#10 jrfromafar

jrfromafar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationCentral California

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:05 AM

Keder welt. That's what attaches to fabric and slides in the track. Just bought 10' for my rig - from sailrite.com

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users