• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

I've been lurking on the site off and on for a while as I soaked up information. I've followed all kinds of friendly "battles" regarding equipment and even choice of cooking fuel. The wife and I have weighed the various arguments and after much gnashing of teeth and "on the other hand"-ing we pulled the trigger and bought a truck and a pop-up on consecutive days. The truck is in the driveway and the pop-up is should be ready the last week of August. Without the good people on the forum we would have taken another couple of years to get to this point. It's not the money - we had been setting that aside for a long time; it's the decisions. So here's what we decided:

Truck: 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 extended cab 6.1L gas V8 shortbed 35k miles

Needs new tires and I've got to yank out the bed liner, but other than that it seems ready to go. Went with the 3/4 ton because I'm a worrier so I like margin. Plus with all the lard we wanted to pack on the camper, I was past nearly all 1/2 ton cargo capacities. Basic 3/4 tons were about the same price as 1/2 tons with the goodies needed for camper use.  Will be paying for poorer mileage, but decided to keep both our DD autos since they're not worth much and use truck for vacations and occasional hauling needs. Low miles = low gas costs. Went with gas engine because I worry I won't alway find diesel when I want. Thing has a turning radius like a battleship, so I need to take her out to an empty parking lot and practice getting in and out of (relatively) tight spots.

FWC Hawk with so many gooodies

Made the 2 hour drive to Woodland yesterday in the new truck of course and ordered our Hawk.

Furnace

Side awning

65 L 2way fridge

Hot water and external shower

Screen door

Fantastic fan

LED lights

Side dining option

2 batteries

Solar plug on roof

Yakima tracks on roof - future expansion

Jacks

There must be more that I can't think of just now. Mike at FWC was great at answering our questions and not all pushy. This was our second visit. Expect to pick it up last week of August and then we're off to Mt Hood, Mt Ranier and the Olympic Peninsula before coming back down the coast. Won't worry too much about crowds, rain, cold and wind though. I look at it like buying a small RV and getting a pickup truck for free!

So thanks again to everyone here for sharing and arguing. We have benefitted so far and expect to continue. Indeed I plan to share my vast experience as soon as I acquire some.

Alan

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Congrats Alan. Sounds like a great set-up. Those next seven weeks are going to seem like an eternity but the payoff will be sweet. And good on you for stepping up to member status. Be sure to post a trip report from your inaugural trip..

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

Congrats on the "new" camper.Looks like you have everything,have you thought of rear steps?Just a thought.They do come in handy.

Enjoy your new rig.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

Congrats! 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#5 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:01 AM

Welcome to WTW, and congratulations on your new fun-factory. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#6 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Sounds great! Woo, too!

Ted is right, it will feel like forever before you get your camper, but think of all that wonderful autumn camping!!!

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Glad to hear our advice helped you out. Looking forward to your first trip report!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:42 AM

Congrats! Here's to many happy adventures.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#9 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Congratulations!

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#10 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

Frank,

Been thinking about those South African Ammo Box "steps" or something similar. Storage seems to be at a premium in pop-ups so double duty steps looks like a good way to go.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users