• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:52 AM

just got back from trip to saline valley, had a great time.stopped in Ridgecrest,filled up extra gas cans topped off taco with gas and us with taco's,next stop surprise canyon (1st pic burros,next pic water falls up surprise canyon) for you all that are not familiar with area this canyon is on the edge of death valley in the Panamint valley,at the end of the road it is about a 5 mile hike up to the old mining town of Panamint that is in death valley mnt. a great place to spend a couple of days exploring,saw a couple of big horn sheep but they were gone before i got a chance to take pics! water runs here all year as it is fed by springs.Wildrose canyon was next stop spent 2 days here (charcoal kilns are next pic"s) there are 10 of them they were restored in about 1930 and again in 1970 or close(nexr pic) shows rock ruins are all that remain of control spot of water line that was built around 1900 to supply water to mine area a total of 25 miles of gravity fed line,made a great camp spot 4x4 only rough trail. next stop was on the road to saline valley spent a day logging in geo-caches in the area and doing some exploring on dual sport.(next pic is known to all who go to the hot springs in saline valley) spent 3 days soaking in springs and visiting with old friends as we have been meeting here off and on since the 1970's(next pic is bee keepers cabin in saline valley kind of strange but it is death valley so who is to judge!put about 200 miles on dual sport exploring ,of course fwc did its job taco was of course overloaded but did what it does best ,transportation to great spots! of course only a few pics as we were to busy enjoying mother nature! drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• P1000855 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0686 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0710 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0711 (Small).JPG
  • DSCF0692 (Small).JPG

#2 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

one more pic beekeepers cabin in saline valley drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF0697 (Small).JPG

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:33 AM

Nice pics. Thanks for posting.

Marc

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:41 AM

From what I hear, it doesn't sound promising about getting Surprise canyon reopened to vehicles.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 03:02 AM

craig surprise canyon as we were informed by blm guys ( they were at trail head directing a clean up of the burn job on old home/mining spot) will never be opened for motor travel again,also canyon is washed out down to bedrock,the only vech access was in the early to mid 90's with early rock crawlers,when there was road?/trail it was made by the mining outfits to gain access to mines which were last worked in the 80's,also there is a pending epa report that is on hold ,blm's way to not do anything! but mother nature sure has made it a great place to visit and marvel at what has taken place since man has encroached.drivr slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#6 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 05:01 AM

Thanks. All these CA trip reports and pics are making me think I need to plan a Sierra's trip. Too bad it is a good 3 days drive from Denver. Go west, young man...
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#7 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

Very nice, looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting the great pictures!

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#8 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:59 PM

Les as usual fantastic photos. Back in 1973 I had a different wife and a brand new stock VW Super Beetle and drove up Surprise. The ground clearance wasn't as good as a Baja Bug and I took out one of the crankcase bolts. It's a good thing we had a case of Valvoline with us. We made it all the way up and spent the night. The wife lasted 7 more years but the bug was with me until '86. There's nothing like a good vehicle and a loyal dog.

Please dont tell Pam I said that.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#9 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:41 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip LQ..great report and thanx for posting!

I am posting a couple of shots of surprise cyn. from April, 07 to add to your report.

Big Horns, right around the area where the water goes back underground. And the burned out ruins of the home/mining ops. We spent the night in the burn..it was fresh (and a little spooky)

We did not go hiking up the cyn. as we were in a hurry to get on the road...now I wish we did

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1610.jpg

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 07 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

Tghe burned area up Surprise Cyn.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1607.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic