• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

I constantly am approached by interested people asking for details on my Eagle - weight, features, milege impact, drivability. They are surprised by the amount of livibility in a small camper. 

I get this a lot because the Eagle is "with me" wherever i drive.

When i pop it up at campgrounds I get even more attention.

How about other owners out there. Any experiences to share?

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#2 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Same for me except I have a Raven.  I also use it as my daily driver and get lots of questions.  I remember when the kids were little and we had a tent trailer.  We were treated like trailer trash by the big RV guys.  Not so with the FWC, they seem to get the joke.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Oh yeah, the clampers I camped next to had to have to deluxe tour. Its pretty common.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

:) It seems like I don't go anywhere for these last seven years, when I don't get asked "is that one of those pop-up campers"? I think it is part of owning one-you become a salesman for FWC or pop-ups in general :P. Most of the time I open up the back door and let em look if I'm at the store parking lot or gas station and answer questions, etc,.when I'm camped I let them in so they can "feel" the thing. I think that that's why we "as a group" like to sell our FWC and let everyone know how great they are-and wave at each other as we pass on the road. Saw one at the ACE store parking lot the other day-brand new with out of state plates-so I pulled up and said "Hi"-sort of shocked them-they were having problems with the door sticking-WD-40., and so, some more advise and several questions and check this site on the pc, and on for a while on how this and that works, and off they went on adventures :D ---No big sky high campers for us-we like to drive fast down the freeway and go places other campers go-with hot water and ice trays <_< !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

Smoke you mentioned the drivability of FWC. As I pull away from stop lights the folks that passed me and were on my left waiting for the light to change are always amazed when I just pull away from them...Amazed enough sometimes to engage me in short conversation at the next light.

Many are surprised when I power through the cloverleafs on the freeways almost like a sports car and I don't have a sway bar. Says a lot for the low center of gravity.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#6 SLO_F-250

SLO_F-250

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Same for me.  I always get people asking me about the setup, what does it have, how does it work etc.  Part of the FWC/ATC club.  Sometimes its kinda fun.   :)

The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 218,xxx miles DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, and Bilstein 5150's

My 1990 Hawk Restore

#7 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

I've been accosted in campgrounds asking about it.  As far a being a salesman.... I've already sold one.  A buddy of mine drove 2 hours to look at mine, sold his hard side in a week and found a grandby locally that came up for sale and bought it.  I see a lot of people just stare and point at it also... 

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#8 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

I've only had my Finch a couple months. No one has really asked about it. All my neighbors know about it. They always ask where I'm off to when I'm packing it up. My truck recently became my daily driver and I've started to leave the camper off in my parking spot. I've figured a way to secure it too. Sure someone could get away with it but It is gonna slow them down. It goes on and comes off. I like the mpg without it but the back of the truck is really light weight. I've also noticed that on turns the electronic bells/whistles of the newer model Tacoma start activating.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#9 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

When I first started travelling around in my Grandby in 2008, I was surprised how many people would stop me in a parking lot or stroll by while we were camping to ask about the camper, especially here in the Midwest where these campers are not very common. And then they wanted to know where to buy one. When I visited the FWC factory on '08, Stan gave me a stack of his business cards that I always carry in the camper to pass out and I'll also mention that I bought mine through Sean Dempsey in Eagle WI. Sometimes I will invite them to look inside the camper if they sound really interested. Lately it has been some tent camper people who are getting too old for, or tired of, tent camping. 

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#10 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

It's not just FWC/ATC's that get the attention. We are asked about our Phoenix on a pretty regular basis, even by seasoned camping vets. Nearly all of my immediate co-workers have asked about it and/or wanted to see inside it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users