23 replies to this topic

#11 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

I get questions about the rig all the time, as recently as yesterday while loading groceries at Costco. I think the most comments and questions I've ever gotten was when I had to spend two nights in an RV park in Fairbanks, AK a couple years back. My camper got more attention than any other rig in the park :-)  I was the only camper, popup or otherwise surrounded by huge 5th wheels and motor-homes. Just about every guy that stopped to chat about the rig said virtually the same thing "If it wasn't for my wife, this is exactly the kind of rig I'd have".  I guess we're all salesmen at heart as I never get tired of expounding the virtues of ATC/FWC's.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#12 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm on the east coast so everywhere we go it's "show and tell" since they're so few and far between.  Have to agree with K6ON on never getting tired of expounding the virtues.

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#13 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

It's funny- we got "trapped" by an interested woman at a rest stop last night. My wife ended up talking to her for about half an hour about the camper, including a look inside. I walked the dog in the meantime, happy to have the wife do the sales job for once, although I don't mind talking to interested people about it either. We were camped earlier in a busy state park and had pretty much a constant parade of folks in the evening remarking on it. People don't see many of them around here either.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#14 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

Still don't see many ATCs or FWCs in southern New Mexico, but I'm starting to see more pop-ups made in Colorado (Phoenix, Hallmark, Outfitter). I do get asked about my camper, too, and have printed up "brag tags" with the URLs for FWC, ATC and WtW. Now that there's a Colorado FWC dealer, maybe I'll start seeing more of them.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#15 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

When I first started travelling around in my Grandby in 2008, I was surprised how many people would stop me in a parking lot or stroll by while we were camping to ask about the camper, especially here in the Midwest where these campers are not very common. And then they wanted to know where to buy one. When I visited the FWC factory on '08, Stan gave me a stack of his business cards that I always carry in the camper to pass out and I'll also mention that I bought mine through Sean Dempsey in Eagle WI. Sometimes I will invite them to look inside the camper if they sound really interested. Lately it has been some tent camper people who are getting too old for, or tired of, tent camping. 

Yep-think that's how we all strated-getting to old to hike for miles and setting up tents in the wind, rain and snow and sitting around a smokey :blink: fire while trying to drink a cold beer------now I have vodka with ice cubes and a heater :wub: .  Still remember my first outing with my brand new FWC up at Eagle Lake. Two buddies/with dogs showed up to help me break it in.  Having that first cold beer out of the frig instead of a cooler was something; then the wind came up with lot's of blowing sand, so we moved around behind my truck to get out of it and wind shifted so we moved again---then I had a thought ^_^ why don't we go inside the FWC-a new thing and maybe why I bought the dang thing :P ---so the three of us and two of the dogs piled in :D --my old Austrailian Shep refused to(always liked it outside in the wind and snow and never got used to being inside), why no wind and a beer at hand  and I turned on the heater-my a whole new world was at hand :D !!! I often think, if I would have wanted one of these things earlier in my wanderings, but me thinks not :P ---years of roughing it makes me enjoy every moment of having my new comfort--and quite willing to share my feelings with someone who also is discovering they to, find it harder to put that tent up every night or climb into the back of the PU and under the camper shell with  the mate and dog and say "what a wonderful time I'm having" ! Yep, what did one of our folks say a while back,  those last days will be spent, sitting by my FWC in some wonderful place out there with a drink in hand while sitting in my strongback chair-just rememember to come and get the dog!

Smoke ;)

Edited by Smokecreek1, 15 August 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#16 griz

griz

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationCampbell River, B.C.

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:22 PM

I am the only one in town with one. When i see one travelling thru town i hunt them down and have a chin wag.

"Quando omni flunkus moritati"

#17 Lingenstein

Lingenstein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNorthern AB

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

I am the only one in town with one. When i see one travelling thru town i hunt them down and have a chin wag.

I can attest to that! Last time I was through Campbell River I too was hunted down for a "chin wag". How's it going Griz?

Edited by Lingenstein, 20 August 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#18 d tree's

d tree's

• Members
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSO Cal

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Yes I get asked allot about my camper in town and quite a bit at work . I work in the port LA/LB guys go nuts with question , I Love my camper  :D ,D

#19 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Oh yeah, the clampers I camped next to had to have to deluxe tour. Its pretty common.

Ah yes, the Clamper Campers ECV!  

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#20 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,366 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

E Campers Vitus? :blink:

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users