6 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyDog

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure

• Site Team
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

I want to create a database of campers and gear that is inline with the WTW site niche - lightweight, off-road worthy gear. I was thinking that the categories would mirror the classified categories.

I am looking for general input on that and I had one important thing I was hoping we could all discuss:

What makes a lightweight camper? What should the maximum weight be on a camper considered light weight?

#2 NJTaco

NJTaco

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:56 PM

I am looking for general input on that and I had one important thing I was hoping we could all discuss:

What makes a lightweight camper? What should the maximum weight be on a camper considered light weight?

I'm no expert, but IMHO, a lightweight camper could be pegged to half the load capacity of the intended vehicle. For example, if my Tacoma has a load cap of 1500#, the camper (empty) should weigh no more than 750#. Same for trailers...I "can" tow up to 3500#, but my empty trailer weight should be no more than 1750#.

This way my Tacoma has the remaining 750# for people and stuff, but an F350 as a larger truck has a half ton or more excess capacity to go with the extra room the larger truck allows.

A modification of this guideline might be to allow for weight of expected occupants (like 350# for a two-seat truck) before halving the load capacity. That doesn't work so well for the smaller trucks, though. A camper for my Tacoma would max at 575#...simply not practical, IMO. A 60% rule of thumb may work better.

Good idea for discussion...

On edit:
Bear in mind, I drive a 4 cyl truck now, so I tend to be conservative on weights. When I drove a big block chevy, I tended to overload on a regular basis. The truck also did not last, completely my fault. My thoughts these days are biased toward reliability and durability more than in the past, so I drive a Toyota. :)

The purchaser of the camper will of course have to take into consideration any modifications made to the truck, for better or worse regarding capacity.

#3 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 06:43 PM

Not sure how to get this info, but often things are categorized as some percentile of the segment. For example, a "lightweight camper" might be lighter than say, 85% of truck campers on the market. Obviously, you need a list of campers to find the 85% mark. I bet the manufacturer's association would have that sort of data.

Maybe an arbitrary line at 1200lbs. Don't think you can get a FWC or ATC over that from the factory, but you might get another brand under it. Still pretty light compared to most of the industry.
Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

May be vehicle dependent. I'd say a camper that doesn't require vehicle modifications, but that would eliminate too many of the smaller trucks that do just fine with airbags etc.

I wonder if we can come to a concensus or if this will be one of those things reasonable people can agree to disagree about. Glad you asked. This should be interesting.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

i have to admit that i have no experiance in lite weight campers ,my first camper was a backpack and it was never lite! when we got interested in bicycle travel (U.S.,New Zealand, Australia,Baja)they were very heavy and unstable and overloaded.our old vw van was always overloaded even when empty,but it gave us some of the best trips we have ever been on! on to our class a motorhomes they also were always overloaded as i always added extra fuel,water tanks,plus toys,now that we have gone back to "lit weight" campers you know from my posts that i build heavy so my lite weight camper is now a overweight camper,but we will put up with the problem as we are now enjoying some of the best trips of our lives.we travel with the knowledge that we are driving a camper/truck/4x4 combination so we drive within the limits of the vehicle and if i felt i was putting fellow travelers in danger i would not.also i know that a lite or empty truck (legal weight) driven as you would a car will be just as much a danger or more so speed does cause more wrecks than overloaded trucks ( my opinon ,not backed up by any info!)so D.D. if you start a thread on heavy trucks i can give many ways to make a truck/camper reach the weight limit real fast! above remarks are why i always say drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"

#6 EdoHart

EdoHart

Grasshopper

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationSanta Maria, CA

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:56 AM

Perhaps a camper that can be carried on a 1/2 ton truck would fit the description of a light weight camper, even if suspension upgrades are required. Note, however, that not all "1/2 ton" trucks are equal, so there's still some fuzzy area.

#7 HERR42

HERR42

• Members
  • 797 posts
  • LocationSacramento, Ca

Posted 13 November 2007 - 04:47 PM

i agree with the 1200 # arbritrary line.
Jeff Herr WW6L '07 Hawk & '00 F250 SuperDuty CrewCab, Warn 12K, BFG AT KO 'E' rated, TransferFlow 48Gal tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users