• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

I've got Firestone Ride-Rite airbags on the rear, and I understand that I can't have the truck lifted by the frame or the bags might break. That means they have to use the drive-on lift, and I just realized this means that getting tires rotated is a challenge.

What do you all with airbags do to get your tires rotated? Just deflate and go for it, or is there another option?

Thank you

2012 Eagle Shell with a few extras

#2 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

wouldn't you just lift by the axles?  I rotate my own tires.  I don't have a frame lift. 

Edited by AK Nomad, 11 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#3 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thanks AK Nomad,

That sounds pretty reasonable to me. The dealership that gives me free oil changes/rotations (for now) didn't mention that, but it gives me the idea to call local shops and ask if they can do it.

#4 brett13

brett13

Lovecock

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

I had this too and just made sure to tell them before it goes on the lift to do it by the axles and be careful letting it down. They'll know what to do.

Once had 2007 Tundra TRD 4x4 5.7 SR5 w/ Firestone bags, Bilstein 5100s in front, Total Chaos shackles rear, 275/70/18 E rated Michelin LTX AT2
2007 ATC Bobcat for sale

Now, just roaming around in a stock Land Cruiser (not stock for long though... bawahahha [evil laugh])

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:46 PM

Am I missing something? I have had my truck serviced several times even just today for brakes.Didn't know there was a problem about lifting with air bags.Mine don't seem to have been affected in any way.

But I will keep my eye on them.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

I was told by the suspension shop that installed my airbags to deflate the airbags before putting on a lift.  

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#7 BobD

BobD

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFallon, NV

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:30 PM

There is a note in the instructions to deflate the bags before frame lifting or damage can occur.  There is a recent thread on Tacoma World where a guy had his truck on the lift and was losing air out of one of the bags afterwards.  Not sure if it was related or not.

Note from instructions:

Once the air helper springs are installed, it is recommended that the vehicle not be lifted by

the frame, as over-extension may occur, resulting in damage to the air helper springs. However, should

it become necessary to raise the vehicle by the frame, deflate both air helper springs completely.

2010 Tacoma DCLB   2012 FWC Eagle

2017 F350 4x4 -  Super Doody Flushed

2019 DCLB Tundra - 2012 FWC Granby

#8 camper101

camper101

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

OK this is all helpful, thanks.

Once the air helper springs are installed, it is recommended that the vehicle not be lifted by

the frame, as over-extension may occur, resulting in damage to the air helper springs. However, should

it become necessary to raise the vehicle by the frame, deflate both air helper springs completely.

I wasn't sure what constitues necessary - like if I should really go out of my way to avoid having it lifted by the frame (find somebody who'll lift it by the axle), or if it's not a big deal to deflate for regular maintenance.

Thanks again all.

#9 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

It is necessary to lift by the frame when performing certain suspension and driveline repairs like replacing springs, also makes it easier on some vehicles to replace shocks, etc.

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,304 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

A question about air valve placement.I have mine just to either side of the spar tire crank hole.I don't use the tailgate as the camper stays on all the time.

Where does everyone place theirs?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users