11 replies to this topic

#1 Swguy

Swguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:06 AM

Hello

First, thank you for the amazing forum and tremendous scope of experience! I am looking at getting an ATC Bobcat Shell and wondered how necessary it is to get upgraded shocks (or airbags) and tires?

I have a 2008 Tacoma 4 door, 4x4 with the 5 foot bed. Been staying with the same type of shocks and tires over the years that the vehicle came with originally. I plan on using the Bobcat for extended trips (6 months at a time) for my work around the US.

I wanted to see if I could get by for now without any upgrades or if it is critical to just get it done before acquiring the ATC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again.

#2 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Get air bags at the minimum. The spring can't handle the weight. It'll be riding on the bump stop with Bobcat on it.

#3 Hittheroad

Hittheroad

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

Better search this site for previous comments - a great deal has already been said on this topic.  Air bags vs Timbrens vs Super springs.  E grade tires seems to be the most important. You should be able to limp home without the upgrades but it may be a wild ride. Reminds me of the time I brought home a new wood burning furnace in my 1999 Tacoma thinking I was just at the weight limit and then realized the weight was in Kg rather than Lbs.  And it decided to snow.

#4 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Better search this site for previous comments - a great deal has already been said on this topic.  Air bags vs Timbrens vs Super springs.  E grade tires seems to be the most important. You should be able to limp home without the upgrades but it may be a wild ride. Reminds me of the time I brought home a new wood burning furnace in my 1999 Tacoma thinking I was just at the weight limit and then realized the weight was in Kg rather than Lbs.  And it decided to snow.

X2 - Especially since your Bobcat will  extend well beyond the end of the five foot long bed

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#5 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Air bags (Firestone works well) are necessary and the upgrade in springs for the Tacoma is helpful. I went up a size in tires but did not get E rated. The stock tires worked well for me, but I am not doing rough off road travel. The slightly larger size tires added to the weight rating for the tires. A lot depends on how heavy you run in gear packed. Lots of gear implies heavier duty tires.

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#6 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

When we got our camper, Marty at ATC recommended upgrading to light truck tires. We have a modified bobcat shell on a 2011 Tacoma Extended Cab with the 6 foot bed. We travel light. I put "D" rated tires on before picking up the camper. The stiffer side walls of the heavier tires really help with handling of the truck, especially in turns and hard braking situations. The tires are better in off road situations and I have picked up screws on the highway without having to repair the tire- an added benefit of the heavier tire. I have the rear spring factory TSB upgrade (no cost) which is a new spring pack with an additional leaf and that seems to handle the weight in most situations. I am considering upgrading the springs to a stronger progressive spring pack, but it is not an urgent need.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#7 Kodachrome

Kodachrome

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • LocationColorado Rockies

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

To show you what is possible:

I do some fairly rough off-roading at times, not Rubicon rough but not just washboard either so I upgraded the entire bottom of the truck quite a bit. I started in the back with Icon rear reservoir shocks, Aclan heavy duty springs and Firestone air bags. The bags have been flawless and are great because you can run them empty if the camper is off ( mine never is ) and load them up as you increase the load in the back. The oil reservoir shocks are especially nice since the much larger oil capacity helps to keeps things cool on hot days on washboard. The front's are Camburg 2.5" coil-over shocks with Icon billet upper A arms with a grease fitting mod for the spherical bearings. I bumped up the front breaks with slotted rotors from Wheeler's Off Road and went with performance ceramic pads. They do wear faster but work a ton better than stock. 

I did lose some downward travel on the back when I put the airbags on but they are still good and the front's have a ton. As for tires, I think the stock ones they ship on the Tacoma are not very good at all, might as well be a passenger car. I had been running BFG ATKO's in 275 R16 D's for over 100K but went to 285 E's this time around and wow, what a difference! It's just the right tire for this rig for off road, air it down a bit and man is it sturdy yet plush. I run them about 45 psi on the highway and do really well. 

Anyway, I have had my Bobcat on my truck full time since 9/2009 and the suspension and breaks upgraded from the start. Between the suspension and break upgrades and supercharged motor, this thing has been an outright beast! In some ways, it is the most amazing piece of photographic gear I use. 

Instagram

407 HP Supercharged 2005 Tacoma / 550W Solarcharged 2009 ATC Bobcat.

#8 Swguy

Swguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thank you for all of the tremendous insight and feedback. Sorry for the delay in responding. I was afield mosf of October.

I sure appreciate the help.

Tony

#9 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:45 PM

When we got our camper, Marty at ATC recommended upgrading to light truck tires. We have a modified bobcat shell on a 2011 Tacoma Extended Cab with the 6 foot bed. We travel light. I put "D" rated tires on before picking up the camper. The stiffer side walls of the heavier tires really help with handling of the truck, especially in turns and hard braking situations. The tires are better in off road situations and I have picked up screws on the highway without having to repair the tire- an added benefit of the heavier tire. I have the rear spring factory TSB upgrade (no cost) which is a new spring pack with an additional leaf and that seems to handle the weight in most situations. I am considering upgrading the springs to a stronger progressive spring pack, but it is not an urgent need.

What tires did you get?  I'm considering E-rated tires, but am worried they will be too stiff. 

Does anyone know if the TSB spring upgrade is available for 2014 Tacomas?

My local 4WD suspension shop says air bags should be enough, but I'm not sure based on what the forum seems to think.

#10 MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs & York, UK

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:18 PM

What tires did you get?  I'm considering E-rated tires, but am worried they will be too stiff. 

Does anyone know if the TSB spring upgrade is available for 2014 Tacomas?

My local 4WD suspension shop says air bags should be enough, but I'm not sure based on what the forum seems to think.

I think this is the answer to my own question about springs on the 2014:

All 6lug tacomas made before october 2013 that were NOT the sport got a 2 leaf + overload... all 6lug tacomas made after october 2013 got the 3 leaf+overload.
There is a tsb out that goes up to the 2011 tacoma for rear spring harsh ride... which essentially stated when the truck had weight in the rear it would ride on the bump stops... the fix... a 4 leaf pack.

http://www.tacomawor...ar-springs.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users