Vinyl window replacement.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

I am going to replace the clear vinyl windows in my mid-90's Ranger II FWC. I am looking for comments on the clear vinyl used  in the newer FWC or ATC windows. Does it shrink or get stiff like the the older versions? Even as low as 50*, the older vinyl windows are impossible to use. I have samples on the way from FWC and ATC as well as several other companies who claim to have -40* "cold crack"...whatever that means in real life use. My plan first cut the old window off leaving about a 1" "tab" left at the bottom. I will cut the new window to size and sew Velcro to the side and top edges. lastly, I will stick the new window to the old window "tab" with 3M 4229 tape. The tape joint will never come apart, so I want to use the absolutely best vinyl on the planet!

Thanks,
CWD

CWDT

#2 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

I contacted FWC about the windows possibly cracking in cold weather. They assured me that their windows would not crack. I asked because I cracked windows in an old pop up trailer.  

#3 dsrtrat

dsrtrat

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:17 AM

Sounds like a good replacement plan.

I would leave yourself an option to replace again somewhere down the road. I have a 6 year old ATC Panther and the clear vinyl windows seem to shrink a little each year. They still close with the Velcro but I can see a replacement in the future.

The shrinking just seems to be the nature of the material from what I can tell. I have used 303 on them since new but they still shrink a little more each year. I do live in a very hot climate may be less in a cooler area.

Dsrtrat

#4 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Dsrtrat, Interesting comments. I assume that the vinyl is shrinking in the heat due to plasticizer migration. The replacement plan will work and I doubt that anyone will notice. I do know how to separate the tape joint again, but it is a very difficult and tedious process. I am more concerned with cold weather flexibility. I have several samples of vinyl on the way for testing.

CWD

CWDT

#5 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

Make sure you let us know how the testing goes. 

#6 RHarries

RHarries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDurango, CO

Posted 28 March 2024 - 01:42 PM

I am also planning to initiate this window replacement project as my '09 hawk's windows have shrunken to the point that they no longer are closeable unless ambient temperature is 80 degrees.

what thickness of vinyl is recommended, what type of seam tape, etc.

I know this is an old topic, but any updates or additional recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

'15 Tundra Double cab with '09 Hawk side couch

#7 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 28 March 2024 - 04:52 PM

I would suggest you look at marine isinglass. Any marine place that does canvas work would have it. It is also available on amazon.

Edited by Jon R, 28 March 2024 - 04:52 PM.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 28 March 2024 - 05:56 PM

Sailrite is a supplier and good source for canvas, vinyl and curtain materials and hardware.

Here is a link to some info on Isinglass (which is an outdated, somewhat generic term for clear window material, also spelled “eisenglass” )

https://www.sailrite...Window-Material

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:39 PM

Sailrite is a supplier and good source for canvas, vinyl and curtain materials and hardware.

Here is a link to some info on Isinglass (which is an outdated, somewhat generic term for clear window material, also spelled “eisenglass” )

https://www.sailrite...Window-Material

Thanks for posting that link. I had thought isinglass (or however you spell it) was a particular type of clear window material, and not just an old generic term. Also, I noted that the web page recommends the use of 303 protectant to prolong the life of clear vinyl. I thought I was supposed to avoid getting 303 on the clear vinyl. So you taught me two things today!

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,341 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for posting that link. I had thought isinglass (or however you spell it) was a particular type of clear window material, and not just an old generic term. Also, I noted that the web page recommends the use of 303 protectant to prolong the life of clear vinyl. I thought I was supposed to avoid getting 303 on the clear vinyl. So you taught me two things today!

This was a new one for me also.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users