Photo
- - - - -

Death Valley from Lone Pine via Eureka Dunes possible right now?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

We will be heading south soon, passing through Death Valley as we go. I have never been to Eureka Dunes and would like to go in to the park that way from Lone Pine, i. e. Lone Pine to Eureka Dunes and then to Ubehebe Crater. The daily report on DVNP's website doesn't include that road and their Facebook page for road conditions isn't very up to date. Anyone driven this route in the last week or two?

Thanks.

Ted, when I drove into DV via Eureka Dunes the dirt/sand sections were world-class washboard and that is a very long road.  I can't speak to the conditions today, but, as 3pin says, be prepared. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#12 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Dang, HIghz!  You are an astro-sleuth!  Double star, eh?  :huh:

The date/time on the EXIF should be accurate (if I had the camera clock set exactly).   6:38pm sounds about right, and you can look up the azimuth of the setting moon.  I was using a tripod-mounted Canon 7D (1.6 crop factor) with a borrowed 100-400 lens, maxed out at 400 focal length (640mm in 35mm).  The limiting factor is the time value

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#13 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

Dang, HIghz!  You are an astro-sleuth!

No doubt. That is impressive.

As far as Eureka Dunes go, I just realized the route is from Big Pine, not Lone Pine. So I'm not sure I'm as prepared as I should be if I don't even know the route. But then again, NOAA weather shows it getting down to 29 F the night we would be there. That is pretty normal winter camping for us. No big storms lately to have washed the road out. I think we are good to go. Washboard is the norm in DV. We will probably go from the dunes to Racetrack, and that road has nasty washboard as well. Just going to have to air down the tires and take it slow. And drive Mrs. Ted crazy by going, "Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for hours on end while we bounce down the road. :P

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#14 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,396 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

<snip>

Just going to have to air down the tires and take it slow. And drive Mrs. Ted crazy by going, "Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for hours on end while we bounce down the road. :P

Ted, you always know how to make things fun! :)

and highz, incredible astro-sluething!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#15 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Don't want to hijack this thread, but this kind of astro-sleuthing isn't that hard with the right tools. PM me if you want more info.

"Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"   :D  :D  Make it a duet with Mrs. Ted.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#16 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Don't want to hijack this thread

No worries. Astro-sleuthing is much more interesting.

#17 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

Alas, no driving Mrs. Ted crazy on bumpy roads. A family emergency required our return home. Eureka Dunes aren't going anywhere so we will have to plan a new trip another time. Thanks for the input.

-Ted

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,650 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

Ted, sorry to hear about the family emergency.   I hope all turns out well.

I am haunted by waters

#19 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

I hope all is well back on the home front.  Too bad you missed out on the dunes and MrsTed missed the washboard. :D

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#20 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:59 AM

Thanks for your concerns. Unfortunately a day into our trip we received word that my wife's Father passed of a heart attack. It was quite unexpected as she had just visited him two days before and he seemed to be in good health. Fortunately they had that visit and she is doing well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users