• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

It might be a good time to have a helpful post on current devices and services available with all the talk about being lost, injured, and Personal location beacons, and being safe out there.  I remember years ago there was a post that covered this.  But what about now, and what are the current services available.

I have a ACR personal location beacon and have my information with NOAA rescue center.  I bought this because we are all ways in remote places and possible the only ones there.  And of course no cell service. We were in a place a few years ago and she slipped on some sandstone and fell.  There was no injury or anything but got me thinking that it would have took a incredible amount of time and traveling just to get some help started.  Concerned and worried I did some research at the time came up with ACR PLBeacon.  I liked that there is no monthly fee.

Moving forward last year my doctor had fallen while descending a peak in the Sierras and took several days to locate his remains.  This also got me thinking of the limitations of a PLB while being alone.

If I’m traveling alone with the ACR plb and something happens then I can hit the switch…..BUT… if I bonk myself unconscious, little good that somebody is coming for me. 

Between ACR and SPOT I chose ARC for the no monthly fee and better range and power.  Spot at the time was going through problems and I opted out.

So back to my doctor hiking in the sierras. Now what I’m considering is both a ACR and a SPOT.  It is the breadcrumb feature that is sent to satellites and to a buddy’s computer to monitor progress and location while going solo on a trip that interest me.  Of course that puts the burden on the person that receives position data to make decisions weather static location is a emergency or you just lost the beacon and it is still running. 

A two system could be warranted where one or both could send a “all is good” message at the end of the day.

The breadcrumbs are a ways to give searchers a starting place to search or body recovery.

At the time ACR did have a service for hitting a button for non emergency messages to be sent to selected computers of your choice, that could be a option if available and comes with a monthly fee.  Monthly fees for services that could save your life are becoming more acceptable to me for peace of mind when retirement comes and when we are more active out there.

So time will tell what units and systems and paid services we end up with… research will happen when the time comes.

We have signed up with Global Rescue  https://www.globalrescue.com/  for our travels needs and I need to change the ACR personal locator beacon with NOAA. When I press the button I need to have NOAA call Global Rescue in order to receive the services.

Lot to think about and set up.  How much is needed, easy to use and understand.  What is the cost for peace of mind in our busy wanderings to all ends?

What do you use?

Edited by pvstoy, 19 December 2013 - 05:31 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#2 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

I also have an ACR.  I've had it for 5 or 6 years.  I got mine because I fish the ocean now and then and I can be 50 miles or so off the beach.  I also run my boat in Hells Canyon and on the Rogue where access is very limited and there is no cell coverage.  I haven't taken it when in the camper yet.  I like that there is no service fee.  

The downside is the battery is only good for 5 years and needs to be replaced.  With the advance in technology, I can now buy a new PLB for the cost of the battery in my ACR. Seems like I paid over $500 for it. My battery is expired so I'll be looking to get a new one I guess.  The new ones are also smaller than the one I have.  I looked at the SPOT but it's not really a PLB like the ACR and for use in the ocean, I didn't feel a SPOT was what I needed.  I've got friends that have a SPOT and I've tracked them during their adventures.  It's cool for sure and gives family that are back home peace of mind.  

I'm kind of old school in that if I'm "out there" I'm not going to be checking in all of the time.  I'm out of reach for a reason.  That's just me. Sure if I'm alone and get knocked out, I'm screwed.  I am pretty good about letting someone know where I'll be or plan to be so if I'm overdue then maybe I have a chance.  Having to pay a monthly fee for something I need 20 or 30 days a year or less just doesn't sit well with me so I don't/wont pay it. I suppose if one were to look at the costs, it might end up a push buying a PLB vs the SPOT/Service. I figure if my ticket gets punched...at least I was doing something I liked.  

There are a few priced less than $300 with a 6yr battery.  Several friends have McMurdo units.  

Edited by Riverrunner, 19 December 2013 - 07:29 PM.

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

A spot 2!  A few years ago as the result of another "Lost in Nevada type" of discussion we got into this same question of "what do you do for a back up" when you are out and about? I think "Ski" started off the discussion with his "just took a walk to look at something (something we are all guilty of) " and something else happened-and would they find the body later?  I had recently retired from the BLM and was with out a back up for the first time in a long time and my wanderings were alone-by my self -so what do you do?  My best friend had a $1200 Sat phone, and that along with a "spot type thing" were the main backups  since a cell phone was at best unreliable (so unless you had a CB radio). From what I understood the "new" spot 2 and taken care of the problems the one had and with the back up they offered for the price seemed the best way to go-and I've have not been sorry. 

"During the "Lost In Nevada" thread, I mentioned how a few months ago, I came back early from a trip and forgot to push the button that gave my location and said that I was Okay as per the protocol I had set up with two friends (every day I push the button to let them know I'm Okay and that I'm alive) . they waited  for a day or so and called my home to see if they could find me-so it is a two way deal! If I break down or get stuck I have the same type of protocol-I push "the have a problem button" and they wait a couple days before they call the manager of the land i'm on and tell them the situation if they can't reach me or I don't push the Okay button. If I push the "Help" button, they monitor the situation . So -so far, my Spot s works-as long as I can see the sky, I'm supposedly protected by the same organization that rescues all the explorers that get in a jam. And it fits right in my pocket when I walk over to take a look to see what's there (as long as I don't leave it on a chair or on the dash board as we have all done!)

Maybe I need a sat phone or ACR or something else for an additional back up I'm all ears-never can be to safe and I can always screw up all that experience I have by making that stupid mistake that kills me! Might as well use all those sat things flying around out there --right?

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,023 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:21 PM

The Winter 2013 issue of Overland Journal has an article on PLB's you may want to read. There are few more options available now than there used to be. 

Even though there are two different agencies involved, government agency for the PLB's, private agency for the SEND (SPOT type devices) they both seem to work very well. They also use different satellites but at least as far as North America they all seem to work well. 

I think the SPOT is the only device with a user replaceable battery.

I currently own a SPOT2 (spot3 is out now) and I was thinking of ditching it in favor of a PLB as the tracking/messaging features don't interest me. I won't be activating it unless I have a serious emergency. Looking at the new units plus looking at the cost I dawdled. Then, very annoyingly spot reupped my subscription without asking me. So stuck with the spot for another year. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Riverrunner

Riverrunner

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationWest Valley, Oregon

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

One of the groups that I boated with in Hell's Canyon had a SAT phone you could rent.  Good idea if you were a member of the group.  Only problem is because of the deep canyon, coverage was spotty at best  ;) .  In the ocean the SAT phones work pretty good.  I've never had an issue with not having GPS coverage.  Some of the newer GPS unit's also utilize GLONASS sat's so there is even more coverage.  

2022 F350 DRW Lariat Ultimate CC, LB, 4x4, 7.3L 
2005 FWC Grandby

2023 Rockwood 2720IK Travel Trailer

#6 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

The rescue package that comes with an American Alpine Club membership includes both Global Rescue service (mentioned by Patrick above) and $5,000 rescue insurance policy.   This basic service is for backcountry hikers, climbers or mountaineers, but wider coverage is available around the world for any emergency requiring rescue and evacuation.   My buddy Guillermo has his PLB set to call Global Rescue when he hits the button. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#7 highz

highz

Retreaded

• Members
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationSacramento Mountains, NM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have an old SPOT1 and it has never failed me when I send "I'm OK" messages to friends and family, except once when I tried sending from inside the camper with a sky partially blocked by trees to see if it would work.  I have also seen where the tracking feature has missed a few points when hiking under dense tree cover. You do need some clear sky, for sure. No surprise there.

Like Craig333, I'll be using a SPOT for at least one more year, since I just renewed the service (but unlike Craig, they notified me with plenty of time to cancel if I wanted to. Craig, is your email address current with SPOT?). Since I am out in the local National Forest almost every week without cell coverage, I feel the SPOT has been well worth the yearly fee.

During this summer's guided hikes for the local Ranger District, we carried radios, but we also carried a SPOT2 as a backup.

I'll probably be upgrading in about a year, so I'll be following this thread with interest to see what's available. SPOT3 or …???

'99 Ford Ranger XLT, '08 FWC Eagle
-------------
“the clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.” - John Muir

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,763 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

Mine auto renews every year and sends me a e-mail with options for any changes I want-don't go anywhere without it. I also have a Garmin GPS loaded with maps to help me find my way-even though I could never ever get lost :D

Smoke!

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for your stories as what you use.  I was thinking to have my better half buy the ACR unit ResQLink 406 GPS PLB.  Pretty small at 4.6 ounces, 3.9 x 1.9 x 1.3 inches.  Cost ~ $280.00.  That would be easier for her to pack around.  Still looking for a solid solution for going solo for the I can't push the button myself scenario.  Still keeping my ear open for options.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ACR, SPOT, PLB, Global Rescue, Personal Location Beacon, NOAA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users