• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gone Surfing

Gone Surfing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:47 AM

Hi,new to the PU camper variety.Recently purchased a 70's 8ft NCO. Missing the indoor light fixtures and would like to put good ones back in.Any suggestions?All in all this camper is in pretty fair shape.It doesn't have any jacks but does have the brackets for Reico Titan.The guy I bought it from probably kept them,I presume.LIghts may be the first project and then many more to follow. Thanks for the interest and nice to be able to come here with campers of similar rigs.

#2 Oryguntroutbum

Oryguntroutbum

• Members
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

Hi,new to the PU camper variety.Recently purchased a 70's 8ft NCO. Missing the indoor light fixtures and would like to put good ones back in.Any suggestions?All in all this camper is in pretty fair shape.It doesn't have any jacks but does have the brackets for Reico Titan.The guy I bought it from probably kept them,I presume.LIghts may be the first project and then many more to follow. Thanks for the interest and nice to be able to come here with campers of similar rigs.

I got these in the picture at Home Depot.  I added the knurled switches so they could be shut off individually at the light. I think they were about $20 each.  I think they match the camper nicely.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2297.jpg

2014 Dodge 2500 4x4, Cummins TD2021 FWC Hawk<p>

#3 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Welcome. Mine has 5 lights on the inside. 3 120v lights that are brass fixtures in the front corners and back drivers side and 2 12v ones both on the underside of the cabinet on the drivers side.

#4 Gone Surfing

Gone Surfing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:02 AM

Thanks,when you get old you need lots of light.So are the 12 volt ones different?According to the Alaskan brochure they say they are wired the same????You just change the bulb???OK,I guess.So if its all the same I can put anything up there I'm thinking.

#5 Gone Surfing

Gone Surfing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

Off to Home Depot to look at lights on New Years Eve.Happy New Years everyone.

#6 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:31 AM

Thanks,when you get old you need lots of light.So are the 12 volt ones different?According to the Alaskan brochure they say they are wired the same????You just change the bulb???OK,I guess.So if its all the same I can put anything up there I'm thinking.

Mine is a '67 and they are wired differantly I had thought the older than mine were wired the same were you had to change the bulbs. It might also be differant depending on which factory it came from.

#7 Gone Surfing

Gone Surfing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

It could be that mine is older than 70's.The guy I bought it from didn't seem to know the year.When I talked to Bryan and asked him about the serial number,he said all factories were different.Mine was from Lufton,Co. The serial number starts with 77 so that's how I came up with 70's.The fridge and stove are brown in color.Does that tip anyone for the year?The guy I bought it from told me about the bulbs,and he said he knew from experience about the issue.So I guess it could be older.I'm down with that.My Airstream is a 68 and I love it.HNY.

#8 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

5 light fixtures is the typical wiring....on the drivers side, furthest back, under the overhead storage, is the first 120v (over the stove)....forward of that there is typically a circular 12v (over the sink) then all the way forward under the storage also is another 12v fixture

the two fixtures on either side of the camper, on the front of the overhead storage are 120v...the one on the drivers side typically had a 120v plug built in the base

If you want to keep the camper original and have the under-cab fixtures intact...the 12v locations can easily be changed to LED using the adhesive strip LED's (cut to size)....the 120v fixtures can be changed over to LED using new bulbs available everywhere and your choice of fixture.....just make sure if you change the one over the stove that the height is matched.....when the camper is in the lowered position...take your measurement for clearance to the stove top.....that fixture was originally glass covered, the 12v's were plastic covered

Good luck....post your decision pictures...many of us are in the same position of replacing fixtures...I just had one of the forward 120v's crumble in my hand while changing the bulb :(...(1970)

Edited by Rusty, 01 January 2014 - 05:45 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#9 Gone Surfing

Gone Surfing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

It's going to be fun making those decisions.Light is an essential element for me.Have to make a picture tomorrow and figure out just where I'm at on this one.Thanks for the info.I'll let you know the details when it happens.KC

#10 Gone Surfing

Gone Surfing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

Well,after further review the light count is three.One above the dinette,one above the stove and one outside porch area.Seems the one outside is 12 volt and the two inside are 110v.Went to D. George and found the glass covers and installed.Very nice original look.Put two 40w bulbs in and did a little ground wire replacement.Seems ok to me.Maybe I'll put a couple 12v lamps when I get around to figuring all that out.A little here and a little there.Cleaned the stove and it looks fantastic. Also got the heater and fridge working great.All in all lots of progress so far.Happy so far.Kick it back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users