#1282 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:50 PM

Thanks, guys. :)   

Not being much of a birder, when I saw these birds I first thought "Huh -- what kind of hawk is that?  Something rare in these parts??"  I opened up the iBird app on my phone, used the "Birds Around Me" GPS feature, and searched on "hawk".  That wasn't quite enough since none of the "cover photos" matched these guys' appearance...but I when I clicked on the Cooper's entry I saw an image of the juvenile, and I figured it out. 

Attached File  iBird-Pro_Coopers-Hawk-1.jpg   170.86K   12 downloads

So, not a rare species...but rare individuals, in a sense, since they spend more time as adults than as juveniles (if they're lucky).

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#1283 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:20 PM

That's cool Mark. On our morning 4 mile walk around our home area we get to see a very big variety of birds.

During the spring when the Red Shoulder Hawks are nesting we get to see them.Even have them come around

the house with the young ones. Lots of fun to watch all the different kinds and what they do.

I'll have to check out that APP.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#1284 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

Mark, juvenile hawks are often very naive, and that may be why they stuck around when you had the camera out. At Ridgefield NWR, I often am able to drive (auto tour route) within 15 feet of the young red tails, stick a big lens out the window and blaze away. I’ve even had people drive between the hawk and my car without spooking the bird. All that said, I’ve never had an opportunity to get a nice shot of a Cooper’s or Sharp Shin. Nice photography, can I set up my blind in your yard?

Attached File  FD38A82B-73B4-4DD2-97BD-B08A084922A8.jpeg   233.34K   6 downloads

I am haunted by waters

#1285 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:33 PM

Mark, juvenile hawks are often very naive, and that may be why they stuck around when you had the camera out....

That's an interesting point, WS...and I tentatively came to that same conclusion (based on this "n" of 1).

The photos I shared I took through the glass of my slider, so at that point they may not have really seen me.  However, after I took a lot of shots through the glass I opened the door, expecting him to fly off, but he didn't.  I walked out on the deck to get at a good angle and he still didn't fly off.  It wasn't until I re-positioned myself again that he finally decided I was too froggy to be trusted and he flew off, though not far.

It's too warm right now to keep the slider open most of the day (and most birds and mammals do spook when I open the door)...so through-the-glass backyard photography is a good incentive for me to keep the glass clean!

..can I set up my blind in your yard?

You bet -- If I can borrow one of your lenses. ;)

#1286 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:37 PM

Mark which Ibird APP do you use?

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#1287 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

Mark which Ibird APP do you use?

Frank

I'm using iBird Pro for Android. At $14.99, it's very expensive for a phone app...but it comes with a huge, downloadable database (so it works in the field without cell connection).

If you have an iPhone, here's the comparable iOS version.

I know there are other bird ID apps, but I bought this one several years ago, and I've been happy with it.

#1288 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

Great observations and photos. Thanks!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#1289 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,594 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:26 AM

<snip>

You bet -- If I can borrow one of your lenses. ;)

We might have to work something out. Maybe next year go back to that site I showed you.

I am haunted by waters

#1290 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 04:32 AM

I'm using iBird Pro for Android. At $14.99, it's very expensive for a phone app...but it comes with a huge, downloadable database (so it works in the field without cell connection).

If you have an iPhone, here's the comparable iOS version.

I know there are other bird ID apps, but I bought this one several years ago, and I've been happy with it.

Thanks Mark I'll have to check it out.

Frank

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users