22 replies to this topic

#1 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

Hello...Have a new to me 1975 8' cab over in very nice condition.  It came with many new or replacement parts and had some restoration work already started.  My question....I have seen pictures on this site showing older Alaskans with flow controlls on the lift cylinders.  I have 4 uninstalled flow controlls and need advise from anyone who has used them.  My thinking is that to raise the top the rear needs to be restricted, then to lower it, the front needs to be restricted.  With my lack of experience, it would seem to me that it would make more sense to weight the rear of the top so that front and rear weights on the cylinders are the same.  Any thoughts?

I have attached some pictures....I know I'll get some grief for having the camper on my 1/2 ton Chevy but the suspension is beefed and my other Chevy is a one ton dually.  Both are 4WD but I would not take the big truck off road.....replacement fenders are too costly.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1600A.jpg
  • IMG_1601.JPG
  • IMG_1597.JPG
  • IMG_1598.JPG

#2 Buckwheat

Buckwheat

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:50 AM

Good looking Camper.

As for the valves mine doesn't have them but it goes up pretty evenly but going down I have to stop it a few times and jack it back up to even it out.

#3 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the reply Buckwheat.  The rear of mine always raises first and lowers last, leaving me to manhandle it to correct travel.  I have checked for restrictions and cleaned and greased the tracks.  It is now more managable, but still needs improvement.

A mistake in my earlier post....my Alaskan is a 1974, not a 1975. 

Anyone have information on where I can get OEM style center clearence lights like the photo (3 light unit)?  Thanks!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1592.JPG

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Balance is an issue with "coming down"...for years I've used the handle next to the door to make sure the bottom line on the window, driver side, is even with the molding around the bottom half of the camper.  If the rear is coming down too fast....put a bit of upward pressure on the handle...if the front is coming down too fast tug a bit on the handle and it evens things out.  Every once in a while...even with the little tugs and pushes....I end up pumping her up just a bit and all is well.

We all get some sort of joint disorder with age, Alaskans are no different,  I'm seriously looking at those control valves as well....

The original triple clearance lights are available at most trailer shops...not exact matches, but close.  They don't make the steel bar types anymore and corrosion takes it's toll.  I was fortunate enough to get mine off long before they fell apart and got a couple good coats of rustoleum on them with replacement lights.

Nice find on the Cabover, looks to be in pretty good shape too....congratulations

somebody kept good care of it and it was stored under cover....not a spot of discoloration...score!!

Edited by Rusty, 30 January 2014 - 04:34 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for the advice Rusty.  The flow control valves didn't make a whole lot of sense to me if the adjustments needed to be changed between raising and lowering.  I'm new at this so appreciate any advice. 

The Alaskan is in very good shape for 40 years old, so I'm sure it was garaged.  I am trying to keep it as original as possible, so thats why the search for the marker lights.  I can buy the single lights, so maybe the answer is modify the base to take 3 single lights.  I'll post pictures if I go that way.  The rear one is OK but the metal in the front set is toast.

A few more Pictures......

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1589.JPG
  • IMG_1590.JPG
  • IMG_1593.JPG
  • IMG_1602.JPG

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationPort Angeles, Washington

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:32 PM

We've seen a few come through the site here, which have been in pretty fantastic condition.  Yours is definitely one of them.  It's always nice when folks take care of something and extend the life of the camper for others to enjoy.  

I'm sure my granny watches every trip I take...

Don't forget to enjoy it...... ;)

Edited by Rusty, 31 January 2014 - 04:32 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#7 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

• Members
  • 644 posts
  • LocationBased in Eastern, NOW CENTRAL Oregon

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

Wild, while I own an FWC I have had friends, or as referenced by my wife, "Cohorts in Crime" with Alaskans and as a child my Grandfather had one.  From what I remember of those that used individual flow control they attached them at the pump via a common manifold.  What I don't remember is if the manifold was an Alaskan thing or a custom thing.  

Old, bum around in Ford and an even older FWC Grandby

New Mantra: "Everyday camping is just making up for lost time"

#8 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

LuckyDan........Sorry, my posts are not showing up.  I had replied twice earlier and saw zip....so I guess my "puter" hates me.

Newer Alaskans (mine is 40 years old) have 12v pumps and front/rear flow control valves mounted on the pump...so your memory is correct.  The older ones like mine have a hand pump and restrictor valves for the rear cylinders (sort of like a check valve with a hole in it....restricts one way, full flow the other).  I am contiplating adding flow control valves to help my "unlevel up and down travel.  Before I do that I'm going to try correcting the balance front to rear (weight the rear) so the weight on the cylinders is more even and see if that helps.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

wild

#9 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:04 PM

Great find. There was a 75 8 foot CO for sale in Red Bluff a few weeks ago. Is this it? I am in process of redoing my 77 8 ft CO. I am going to have to trim 2 inches off the right rear box ( closet/ toilet room) in order to get it to fit my 2003 Chevy 2500. Did you have to do this to fit your in your Chevy? You also have plywood walls rather the faux wood I have in mine. I prefer the plywood and may think about changing my interior skin. Right now doing my electrical system. In house battery. Love to see your Alaskan some time and compare versions.

#10 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

Mine is actually a 74 and I purchased it the end of last year in Redding.  I did see a 75 recently for sale with the the faux wood panneling.  There was a fair amount of staining or water damage showing. It was local but I don't recall if it was in Red Bluff or where. 

My guess is the change from real wood paneling occured between 74 and 75, but as I say, that is a guess.  My Alaskan has the side lounge floor plan and is the same width all the way back.  I had nothing to trim to make it fit.  I also had to redo the electrical, but just the supply side and add a house battery.  All the factory wireing was OK except for cleaning up the grounds for some lights. 

I recently saw a reference as to where 4x8 sheets of the Ash paneling can be purchased.  Check some of the recent posts about rebuilding and you should come across it.  Any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.  If I can't, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on this site to help you out.

wild

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users