• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:55 AM

Has anyone replaced the original under stove heater ( i believe it is an old Atwood) with a more recent forced air type heater. My 77 CO has this old model heater that I cannot get to work. Pilot comes on but does not light the main jet nor does the fan work. It is ancient. I am considering getting a used forced air heater from a newer camper and retrofitting my alaskan. I tried a Wave 3 in my FWC for awhile but he CO alarm would come on before long even with a window cracked open. So I am a bit unsure of a catalytic heater. What has been others experience?

#2 wild

wild

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hello nixfwc,  Don't know if I can answer your questions but I'll give it a shot.

Forced air heaters are great....they pull in outside air, heat it up and blow it into your camper.  The only drawback (other than yours not working) is that they need power for the fan.  That's OK if you are in a powered campsite or use a generator.......otherwise they drain the battery. 

I am not familiar with your Atwood heater but I don't believe the main burner will light unless the fan is on, so you may want to check out the fan motor.

The 3 Wave heaters are simple (I have one), they heat and require no 12v power.  They do need enough ventilation to operate in a safe manner.  Since they use the oxygen in the camper, it is best to open two sources of ventilation.  I would suggest opening a side window for fresh air and open a overhead vent to create some airflow.  Also, the location of your carbon monoxide sensor is important.  It should be near the sleeping area (probably not down next to the floor) so it is in the same area where occupants are breathing in the "freshened" air.

Hope this helps!!!!!

wild

#3 nixfwc

nixfwc

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the help. Finally got it out but have come to the conclusion that the capillary tube is broken hence the pilot not staying on. Now trying to figure out if I could get an Atwood  Everest heater to fit in the hole or go with catalytic or blue flame heater. Fan power draw does not concern me much as I will also have solar ( eventually). Sold my Wave 3 heater last fall and am now regretting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users